xviii - Then They're Sweet

"Birdie?"

I sat in stunned silence at his figure standing before me. I couldn't find any words, and the impending anxiety vomit was still threatening to kiss my inner lips.

"Where have y—I have to–"

I cut him off, only to be cut off by my own body and it's internal rejection. I sprung up past him to the nearest bathroom down the hall, barely making it past the door to the trashcan just on the other side. I emptied the contents of my stomach into the already biohazardous receptacle of the girl's bathroom.

There goes my last meal.

My head felt heavy, but my nerves were thankfully starting to calm down. Small breaths and pants filled the echoey bathroom as I tried to wash the taste of bile from my mouth. When I exited the bathroom finally, Kid was leaned up against the wall next to the bathroom.

"Uhm, I think I can handle going to the bathroom by myself Kiddo."

I tried to come off as nonchalant as possible, but my posture and glassy eyes most definitely gave everything away. Feeling his eyes on me didn't help either.

I could still picture—

"You just spewed your guts all over the bathroom, why the fuck are you at school?"

His arms were crossed as he looked at me, a look of concern ghosted with amusement at what just happened on his rigid features. I tried to ignore the invasive thoughts entering my brain at the sight of him looking down at me like that.

"I'm fine..." I pulled on a cheery tone, swatting my hand at him, "I just caught sight of you and it made me lose my lunch."

I felt a devious little grin assume my lips as he rolled his eyes at me.

"Seriously birdie, why weren't you answering my texts? I was getting–uh, I needed to know if I could go straight home after practice or not, some people have a life you know."

He seemed to interrupt himself, making my skin run hot again. I hung on every word involuntarily, trying to focus on keeping my cool.

"I mean I just overslept a little that's all, I got my mom to take me to school."

I lied, walking past him slightly to go back to the art room.

"And you avoiding me in the hallways this morning too? I'm starting to think you actually hate me birdie."

His voice was sarcastic, but his tone held a different indication for some reason..

"Jeez, someone missed me. Couldn't stand to be away from me for one morning hm?,"

I quirked a sideways grin at his indications, his words giving me a slight boost in confidence,

"And what are you doing anyway, it's the middle of a class period and here you are in the middle of the empty halls running into me."

He crossed his arms again,

"Skipping class, what does it look like?"

I crossed my arms back,

"Don't you have a reputation to uphold as the principal's son?"

He scoffed before jutting his head forward slightly,

"Do I look like I care?"

"While I do agree that you should be your own person, you probably should care just a little bit more right now."

I stifled a laugh as Mr. LeRoux came up the hallway behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You two really are inseparable, hmm?"