Hennessy Hayes

SEVEN

My legs where tucked up to my chest; I hadn't left my apartment in a week. I couldn't see him without seeing Edward screaming on the ground with the blood around his head like a halo.
Ronnie poked her head around," You have a visitor."
I looked up from my mug," I don't want to see anyone."
"He is rather persistent."
I raised an eyebrow," If it's Peter he can fuck off."

Harry poked his head around the door," Amiga!"
"Harry?" I looked up, unimpressed," What are you doing here?"
he jumped on to my bed as Ronnie left for training; she still had a job to do, even if I refused to do mine.
"I was summoned by the superiors when Eric couldn't get you out of bed, neither could Four, Shauna or Zeke. Uriah offered to come over but he's training so he can't." Harry sighed," It's not on you, Peter made his choices."
I sobbed a little," But what does that make me? That temptation was there because I left my knives out."
Harry sat in the seat in front of me, "He would've found them someplace else, maybe a blunt butter knife from the canteen."
I creased my eyebrows, "Is that supposed to make me feel better?"
"Yes." Harry spoke exasperated," If it was blunt, he could've lost the eye – however freshly sharpened throwing knives granted cut through his optic nerve and damaged the iris; Ronnie was able to save the eyeball so that's one thing."
"Thanks, Harry." I rolled my eyes patting his shoulder, "Very heart-warming that."
He sighed, "You have to stop blaming yourself for things, with Isaac and now Peter – you have to learn how to step away from it all."
"How do you suppose I do that?" I asked.
Harry gave a sad smile," Block it out, only focus on things that you want to focus on and the people you want in your life instead of being so bloody friendly."
"Maybe so."

Harry jumped up," Come on! Back to work, before Eric makes this an official issue."
Getting up, I left the room to get a shower; pulling my hair up into two signature braids. They were close to my skull, starting at the front of my head going to the middle, on either side I tied to buns keeping the rest of my hair down but not in my face.
Lacing my black combat boots over my tights, I pulled down my ripped skirt tucking in the burgundy jumper as I went.

Harry smiled as he swung off the island, "You doing ok?"

I nodded with a smile I could manage.
"Good, it's a field trip today after lunch." Harry spoke as I locked the door," To the Great Wall of Chicago."
I stared blankly at him.
"Too far?"
"Just a smidge."

We took the path that went through the Chasm, as we approached there was a distinctive sound of cry; maybe someone had decided to jump.
Running the rest of the way, we skidded to a stop when Eric's broad frame came into view. Christina was hanging on to the railing as the water dripped on to her hands. Going forwards to pull her up, Eric wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me back.
"Stay!" He yelled his eyes fixated on the initiates in front of him.

Drip. Drip. Drip.
She was going to slip, if she falls it would be murder

"Time!"

Tris and Al ran forwards pulling Christina up, she cried into Tris's shoulder as the entire body shook. Eric stood tall, a knife in his hands, tapping the blade against this palm.

"Dauntless never give up." He spoke, "Now your trainer has turned up, go back to the training room."

As Eric walked away, I caught his arm.
"What that necessary?" I asked.
He looked up, "Yes, now let go."

Letting go of his arm, Harry raised both his eyebrows looking back at his fleeting shadow.

"Ok!" I shouted, "Get back to the training room, continue whatever you were doing. Tris or someone takes Christina to Ronnie as soon as you get back."
We followed them back, the glass doors rattling as the shut behind us.
"We are going to focus on Gun handling for the rest of the day." Four spokes, looking more tense than usual," Hennessy, a word. The rest of you, grab a gun from the box and line up."