Hennessy Hayes

ONE

déjà vu. That's how I would describe this feeling.

Sitting in the crowd of those dressed head to toe in black – my knee bounced as looked over the sea of black and white. Darting over every face, I smiled as I saw the face of my brother, sitting next to Gran on one side and dad on the other. Camilla was there too with her twins, heavily pregnant – her left hand cradling the bump as her right held on to my father.
Peter looked older, harsher – the way he held himself in the chair wasn't like last year, his face was stern with his face forward not listening or regarding the world around him. He reminded me of Eric in that aspect.

"Who is leading the ceremony this year?" Harry asked.
I jerked my head, "Marcus."
"Oh, that's interesting."
"Keeping tabs on current affairs, are we?" I creased my eyebrows," Why? Is it 'interesting' its Abnegation's turn to host."
"A rumour was released again maybe by Erudite, about Abnegation – Marcus Eaton to be exact." Harry explained, "Surprised he's still showing his face around."
"How brave of him." I rolled my eyes at the tension between the two factions.

As the hall filled up with more parents and kids, the vast amount of colour was astounding, shades of blue, red, yellow, grey, black and white always the same colours though the shades changed depending circumstances and preference.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Harry asked looking around," What if we are recognised?"
I nodded," You didn't have to come."
"Oh, and who is going to keep you from trouble if I didn't?" Harry asked," Eric can't especially with Initiates arriving in a few minutes."
I elbowed him in the ribs," I can take care of myself numbnuts."
Harry rubbed his ribs," Ouch."
"Dauntless up tough guy." I joked.
Harry smirked," Talking about Dauntless, we need to talk."
"About?"
Harry looked around again," not here – when this is over."
I nodded, somehow I had a feeling I knew already.

The room filled with rhythmic claps as Marcus walking on to the stage, dressed in three shades of grey, his shirt being the lightest and the long knee-length coat being the darkest.
The Erudites' looked smug and cocky as he stood in front of the five bowls on the table that were a permanent feature here – they were filled for the ceremony; cleaned then put back.

"Welcome!" He yelled," Welcome to this year's Choosing Ceremony - A time when we all acknowledge the politics and philosophy of our ancestors in knowing that every man, women and child has the right to choose where they're life goes."

He paused, looking around the room.

"Those who blamed the violence we had endured, formed Amity. Those who blamed people's ignorance to see the signs, where Erudite. Candor was made from the people who falsehoods were to blame. Abnegation was made for those who blame one's inner selfishness. Those who blamed cowardice, where Dauntless." Marcus spoke out, walking along the stage as he did so. When we leave this room today, you will no longer be dependent on your families but full members of the society we have sworn to build. The Health and success of that is in the hands of every single one of you. Faction before blood.

"Faction before blood."

Harry and I stayed quiet – the words as I spoke them didn't feel right; my head turning automatically to where my brother sat. Taking my hand, Harry nodded as he comforted me. I don't know why I was scared – I made my choice; now so does he.

"Johnathan Zeigler."

A prissy looking Erudite boy walked from the front of the bottom of the sector, his shirt was fully buttoned with jelled hair and blue trousers. By the looked of him, it was an obvious choice where he would go.
As he cut himself with the blade, my fingers automatically traced the scar on my hand where blade cut through.