Hennessy Hayes

THREE

A truck pulled into the loading dock, five boxes were unloaded and sighed off by Eric and several Dauntless fence Soldiers.

"This came in early yesterday morning, but it was overlooked because they thought they were Amity trucks," Harry asked. "How many boxes is that now?"
Four looked through his own notes," Five boxes a week, that makes it about forty now."

"What do you want to do about it?" Harry questioned, laying back on his chair.
"We sit on it." I burst out a plan," The only people we know, who aren't in on this are in this room now. For all we know, our closest friends are involved."
Harry leaned back in his chair," That's called paranoia, Ness."
Four leaned against the desk with his head down," No, for a year they have been building something, locked behind a metal door – Every time I asked questions about why I lost a live feed down there, I got told to 'forget I ever saw anything because no one would believe me.' We have to be cautious with this information and anything else we find."
Harry shrugged," If that's the word Boss, then that's that."
Four nodded," yeah – it is. Don't stay too late, Georgia will be around to take your place soon."
"If I knew this job would land me in a yearlong conspiracy by accident," Harry sighed to himself as we turned towards the door," Would've become a chief."

Leaving the control room, Four and I stood to wait for the lift.
"Are you going to talk to him today?"
Nodding, I played with loose threads on my ripped shorts," Yeah, I'm not going to tell him about Eric though."
Four snorted," Could you imagine it though."
"I can, he's my brother Four, he'll walk around like there is a silver spoon up his ass."
"It's not like you hide it from anyone." He rolled his eyes.

Taking the lift down to the bottom, we nodded to the people coming off from the fence – stopping in front of the initiates dorm.
"Time to wake them up," Four smirked.
"I hated you for this." I shuddered at the memory," A good morning would've worked too."
"I'll keep that in mind," Four nodded as he picked up the pipe by the door" Ready to watch several people beat the crap out of each other?"
I smirked," Some of them don't look like they've stepped on an ant by accident, I doubt they are going to beat each other up."

Standing by the door, I flicked the switch – filling the room with light as Four hit the pipes with the pole, the echo ran through the room. In their bed, each of them groaned, looking up at Four.
"Pit. Two minutes." He yelled, turning to leave," Oh and Good morning."
I rolled my eyes," You could've meant it."
"That's not going to happen." Four scoffed, holding the door open for me as we left.

Angel yawned as she stood with Lauren and the Dauntless born, she mimicked a cup of coffee and I nodded with pleading eyes. She ran her finger down her cheek in fake sadness, sticking my middle finger up at her; with a laugh, she turned her attention back on Lauren and her job.
I sat on, one of the metal picnic tables, my legs crossed with the dauntless issued jacket tucked under me to stop the cold reaching my legs.

Eric sat next to me, putting his hand on top of mine- kissing the side of my head as no one was watching.
"Morning," He spoke as softly as Eric could, "How are you feeling?"
"A little nervous,"
"Try and detach yourself early on."
I laughed," How did that work for you?"
"Not very well, so it seems, "Eric pulled me into a hug, "You good for dinner tonight?"
I nodded, " sure, I have to speak to Peter at some point – what are you making?"
"The only thing I can cook," He looked ahead," You spoke to him yet?"
"Nope, I - "

The Initiates walked in, as Angel stood next to me and Eric removed his hand from mine – her arms crossed over her chest; she chose an open racerback top to show the large wings on her back.
"Is that really what we have?" She asked.
I nodded," Yeah, but they might surprise us all and be alright."
"Your optimism scares me sometimes." Angel hit my back before walking back to Lauren.
Four looked back at me," You ready?"
"Yes," I smiled, at the stern-looking Four