Chapter 42- In Which Our Heroes Are At Rest (Almost)

Two months later 

        Everett and I sat in a cafe in Washington D.C.. Red and orange leaves skittered across the sidewalk outside, which was just beginning to be tinged with rain. The two of us hadn't spoken for over an hour, but had instead just watched the storm clouds rolling in. "We should go..." I uttered. 

        He started. "Yeah we should." He smiled. I stood and offered him his wool coat and gloves. He took them. "Thank you." I put on my own coat, which was a comfortable, sandy, khaki garment that was almost worn to bits. We stepped out into the sprinkling rain, and took our time strolling back the SHIELD building. The two hours we got to spend with each other every Saturday was valued by both of us. 

        "How is your work in Resources?" I said, smiling. 

        He laughed. "It's boring. But it's good for my family." I nodded, although I didn't quite understand the trading and economics his family was involved in. "What about you, Ruari? How's being an agent? Saving the world? Being a superhero?" He laughed. 

        The rain started coming down harder, and I smiled as it started to run through my hair. "Being an agent is alright. It's hard to learn the strategy, but I'm fit enough to keep up with Natasha, Clint, and Steve. Saving the world? Not really. I've only been on simulated missions, or really easy ones, for training." I sighed. "I'm not a superhero, Everett. I'm just stronger than most people. I've just got more guts. I'm not any better. Just stronger." I whispered. 

        He squeezed my hand as the rain came down harder. "You're a superhero to me." I squeezed back with a smile. 

        I opened the door for him. He thanked me and walked slowly off to Resources. I started towards Agent Training when I saw Natasha positively stalking with me. I felt locked in her gaze like an animal, and I sighed, knowing she had something important to tell me. "Miss Logan." She smiled wolfishly. 

        "Yes, Agent Romanoff?" 

        "We're changing your training schedule. You'll be training with me six days a week now. We need to prepare you." 

        "For...?" I asked, as we walked towards the locker rooms. 

        "The next mission, of course. We still need to find Director Fury and Professor Xavier. I'm getting old, you've got to pull your weight, Miss Logan." 

        I smiled at her tight humor. "Of course, Agent Romanoff." 

        This was going to be fun.