Chapter 5- In Which Ashar and Ruari Talk

Ruari's POV

        A bit of Poptart still lay in my hand as I walked back to see Bruce. I held it up. I had marveled at all the food they had had downstairs, and all the water. Crates of bottled, pure, clean water, just lying around. My hands had itched to carry as much of it home as I could, throwing it around, seeing everyone happy. My whole family. I put the bit of Poptart in my mouth. Strawberry tasted pretty good. I knocked on the door. "Oh! Come right in, just walk in, my hands are full at the moment...." Dr. Banner's voice came from inside the lab. I walked in. 

        He was juggling long tubes of clear glass, trying to make it across the room without dropping them. Tony Stark was leaning against the counter, arms crossed and eyebrows raised. A boy stood next to him with a similar expression on his face. They looked enough alike to be related. However his build was skinnier. Bruce fell forward, all the tubes falling and shattering on the floor. Steam hissed and a huge scrap of metal wasn't there anymore as the floor melted away. "Seriously? Tony, you could have helped me." 

        "Yeah, but it was more fun watching the floor below get a new skylight. Oh hey Ruari. This is my delinquent- I mean, charming. Yes. Charming. Charming son. His name is... oh I forgot... what's your name?" He says glancing hurriedly at  his son.

        "I'm Ashar. With an a, not an e. After the sh." He explained, rolling his eyes at his dad. 

        "I'm sorry! I have a wife, you, four pets, and lots of friends. I think I have friends. I don't really know." 

        "Whatever dad." 

        I swallowed. He walked over to me. "C'mon. The adults are just annoying, and Dad is obviously getting really really-ehem - OLD!" He says, coughing. 

        "Watch your mouth! And don't go messing with girls! Here take this!" His dad ran up and handed him a sheet and a pen. 

        "Yes Dad. Thanks." He led me out of the room and down some stairs. He opened the door to let us out onto the air strip. A bench was set near the wall and we sat on it. "So, you're Ruari, right?"

        "Yeah."

        "So you have those wicked sweet claws, right?" 

        "Yeah, and I'm not showing them to you, just because you want to see them." 

        "Well then! Ugh we've got to do this stupid sheet." 

        I shrug. "Ohkay." He runs a hand through his dark hair.  He blinks, then picks up the pen, chewing on the end. 

        "Ohkay.....so..... what country are you from?"

        "Kenya." 

        "Oh, nice and hot! Are you non human? What?"

        "Um..." I wasn't quite sure what they were asking. I squinted up at the bright empty sky. "It's so cold." 

        "Yeah, sooo cold, it's like seventy degrees out, get a life. Um, yeah, you're not all human, cuz you have metal bones, right?" 

        "I have metal in my bones, and claws."  He nods and scribbles that down. We go through some more questions

        "So... can you read or write?" 

        I suck in a breath of the thin cold air. "Only.. a little.." I squeaked out. I knew that most people that were sixteen or so were supposed to be able to read and write, but I could barely do that much. 

        "That's interesting... show me!" He shoves the paper and pen at me. I painstakingly do an R then an u and then an a until I have my whole first name. 

        "I can't spell my last name." 

        "Logan? L-o-g- no, a g, not a y. A g! Don't you know what a g looks like?" I shake my head. 

        "I never had the chance to learn ohkay? And by the time they had gotten far enough into the bush to establish a school... I was fifteen." Ashar nods. 

        "So do you know how to do anything? Do you know any math?" He sounds like he makes me out to be extremely stupid. 

        "Yeah, I can do math in my head... and... I can make stuff... And I can read enough to read medicine labels. I was the village doctor. So yeah I saved people and stuff." I said bluntly, challenging him. He had just been sitting here, rolling in all the money his dad probably had, not even caring about the state of the rest of the world. 

        "Oh yeah? Can you shoot a gun? The only girl that can shoot a gun, is Black Widow." 

        I stood up. "Yes, yes I can shoot a gun. What's so important about that?" 

        "It means you have the power to change things." 

        I snort. "Yes, the power to change things with death! The power you are allowed when you have a gun, is frightening. People with guns kill other people. Aren't you tired of warfare? Aren't you tired of seeing people's homes ripped apart by constant bloodshed? But you haven't been to Africa, so you wouldn't understand how it feels to protect the people you love with everything you have, only to have them die with their heads on your lap!" I lifted my chin, not backing down from him.

        He rolled his eyes as he turned away. "Girls are so stupid." I heard Ashar mutter under his breath. The steel and glass door creaked as he walked inside. I sat down on the bench, defeated. Didn't anyone else see the way I did? My thoughts were interrupted by the scuffle of several pairs of feet on the tar of the landing strip. I looked up to see Thor running for the other end of the Helicarrier. Black Widow pounded on his heels. 

        "Thor! No! Come back, we'll deal with your brother without you!"

        "No! He is my brother. I must be there to restrain him!" 

        Thor thundered past multiple planes and past workmen, who avoided him. Thor looked up every now and again. I looked up too. A huge falling star  twinkled in the sky, burning closer and closer to us. Thor leaped up into the air to meet it. 

Daughter Of the Beast *Wolverine/Avengers*जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें