Chapter 14- In Which Gerard Reveals His Superpower

Cavendish flipped her hair over her shoulder as all her animal features retracted. Next to me Steve fidgeted. 

        "Gerard? What can you do?" Fury said, clasping his hands over his file folder. 

        Gerard ran a nervous hand through his curls, then blurted out an answer. "I can draw stuff and then it's real!" 

        "YOU CAN CLONE PEOPLE!!" Hawkeye burst out. 

        "I can't draw people." Gerard muttered apologetically. 

        "That would be a problem." Natasha leaned back and set her boots on the desk. She examined her fingernails as Gerard asked for a piece paper and a pencil. Her short red hair was cropped close to her chin, framing her face and drawing attention to her eyes. She pinned everything under her gaze. She watched as Gerard sketched something. 

        The pencil moved back and forth and the scribbling filled the silence. Gerard bit his lip, his glasses sliding down the bridge of his nose as he concentrated. "Done! One second." He took a huge breath and held it. His blue-green eyes were squeezed shut, and his bony fingers were fisted tightly. 

        The paper exploded in a flash of light, something green going everywhere. Pieces of ash from the paper fell on everyone's shoulders. I blinked to clear my eyes from the harsh colors. When my sight finally cleared, vines covered every inch of the floor, the walls and the ceiling. 

        "Can you do it without explosions?" Fury asked, an eyebrow raised. 

        "I usually don't do it. Random things popping into existence are just weird."  Everyone agreed with his statement. 

        I sighed. "Do you have more control over it? Like say I wanted Poptarts. Could you make me two, not twenty?" 

        His eyebrows furrowed together. "Maybe." 

        "Make twenty poptarts. More is always better, is it not?" Thor said. 

        I crossed my arms and sighed. Yay for superpowers. Bored. 

        Fury, thankfully checked his watch and found out he has someplace else to be. He gave us room assignments and stalked out with his black cape flapping behind him. 

        Dr. Banner cleared his throat. "Um. Cavendish and Ruari are together. And Gerard and Everett are paired." He motioned for us to follow him and we did. 

        Cavendish drew level with me as we walked. "So. Um. Rooming together! That's going be a lot of fun, yeah? You're from Kenya right? It's such a cool place. I've always really loved the scenery. I just feel so bad for the people. My school actually did this charity fundraiser for a Kenyan village called Upendo wa Uzuri." 

        I stopped short. "That's my village... Upendo wa Uzuri! Love of Beauty." Images of my home cam flooding back. We knew that someone had donated money, because we had gotten tin roofing and thousands of water purification tablets. Dozens of other medicines and vaccines had come into my ready hands. A few jars of paint had added splashes of red and green and yellow on a few lucky buildings. 

        "Thank you so much. We really needed everything you gave us." 

        Cavendish gave a small smile. "You're welcome." 

        Dr. Banner opened a plain stainless steel door. "This is for the girls. I'll take you guys to your room." He walked off with Everett and Gerard. 

        The room was pale blue with black and white pictures above two beds. I immediately knew which bed was mine. Not because the little girl in the picture had blonde hair, like me. But because she was in mid-air, jumping above a trampoline. A huge man smiled down at her, sideburns lining his cheeks. A woman with curly blonde hair was reaching down to pick something up off the trampoline. The sun lit up my hair and my mum's. 

        "Is that you and your parents?" Cavendish asked. I nodded. 

        A couple set of clothing were on my bed. The other girl's bed had a couple suitcases on it. I watched her unpack, the flow of items seemingly endless. I swallowed. I couldn't even discern the use for some of these things. Maybe torture devices?? 

        We both changed and went to bed.