Chapter 10- In Which Nachos Are Eaten

"And here we have the Fror-Hedlien Lecture Hall, it is used for large lectures. You, Mr. Rogers, will be having your Advanced Literature Courses there. You will be having your Gen. Ed. there, Miss Logan. There's a lecture there now, let's go in." He opened the door for both of us and we stopped in the lobby. 

        "Alright, Phase Two of the Plan. I, being the wonderful counselor, administrator person thingy guy I am, will ask to remove Mr. Manley from class. Then you two sneak out the back!" 

        I raised my hand.

        "Yeah?"

        "Can we get nachos?" Clint blinked. 

        "Sure? Yeah... we really do need snacks..." He turned and walked into the building. Steve and I sat in the very back row, next to some drooling guy in a tattered sweatshirt. Clint walked confidently up to the stage. The man turned.

        "Ah! Mr. Barton! Do you need a student?" 

        "Yes, I do. I require Gerard Manley?" 

        " Oh him. Well I'm sure he'll be glad to escape my class, since he's failing it." 

        "Well British Literature is a hard class, especially Longfellow." Clint said before coming back up the aisle. 

        "Good day Mr. Barton. And sir? Longfellow wasn't British, he was American." Titters and giggles broke out over the audience. 

        "Uh yeah! I totally knew that!" Clint rolled his eyes and walked even faster to get out of the lecture hall. We stopped in the lobby again. A curly hair guy with glasses sighed. 

        "Who are you guys." He clutched the strap of his messenger bag nervously, his eyes going from face to face. He has a mass of curly hair and a small smile. Thick glasses perched on his nose and enlarged his dark brown eyes. He was like one of the African sparrows, light, with bony limbs and bright eyes. 

        "Well I'm Mr. Barton, this is Miss Logan." I waved. "And this is Mr. Rogers." Steve stretched out a hand, which Gerard shook. 

        "Do you happen to know where on campus the snack bar is?" Steve asked. 

        "Uh, yeah, it's over this way, I'll take you guys." He gulped and adjusted his glasses then turned and walked down a pathway. We followed him. He led us to a large, glass-fronted building. A long counter sat unoccupied inside. We went in. The girl at the counter smiled. 

        "Hey Gerard! I thought you had class this hour?" She smiled.

        "I do.. but Mr. Barton took me out for some.. some reason." His smile was nervous. 

        "Oh cool. Wish I could get off work early. What do you guys want to order?" 

        "Four extra large nachos?" I asked. I pulled out a twenty and handed it to her. 

        "Oh, it's only $14.36." My mind froze. I had no idea of American currency at all. I fiddled with the bill. 

        "Keep it...?" 

        "Are you serious?? Like a five dollar tip! Sick!" I think those were the fastest nachos she ever made. She whistled some kind of tune. 

        Clint's phone rang. "Hello..." He answered leisurely. "No... Oh. Everyone's on the return trip already? Well toss them, we're getting nachos. What? Yeah, with the fake cheese sauce. No, I don't care. Yes. Fineeee." He whined, then turned off the call. 

        "Natasha wants us to pick her up some stupid tomatoes on the way home. This is a mission, not a grocery run." 

        "Whatever Clint. I need to pick up socks. " Steve grumbled. 

        "Clint stop whining. We need to get these nachos, and ourselves, back to the Jeep so we can get back to the airbase, then back to our jet, then back home." Both of them rolled their eyes at me, but grabbed the nacho dishes. Gerard got his and I got mine and we all walked out of the building. Clint led the way. 

        "Is there enough room in the Jeep?" Steve asked. 

        "No, we have to strap Gerard to the roof. Really tight too, we're going on the highway." 

        I smiled. "Yeah... Wait, we only have duct tape..." 

        Gerard paled visibly. "What??" 

        "Don't worry... it'll all be ohkay. Do this for America." Steve said. He patted Gerard on the shoulder. 

        Clint pulled out a roll of duct tape as we approached the Jeep. Colonel Davis gave us a raised eyebrow. "We need to put Gerard here on the roof, he's too big to fit in the car." 

        "Just a little chubbsy." Steve muttered pointedly. 

        "But. but I'm not fat! Do I have to go on the roof! Please-" He looked freaked out. 

        "We're kidding! You can ride in the car with us. How else would you eat the nachos?" I said. He gulped and nodded.

        The ride back to the air base was uneventful. All we did was eat nachos.... Before we knew it, we were at the air base. Colonel Davis approached us. "Please return the borrowed clothing." Gerard looked confused, but Steve, Clint, and I went to the restrooms and changed out of the 'normal clothes'. Gerard gasped when he saw us. 

        "Are you guys superheroes? Do you fight crime like Batman, are you aliens?? I bet you guys look normal BUT HAVE LASERS!" 

        I blinked. "We're not that special..." 

        "But you are! I mean you guys are so cool! I love superheroes! I've wanted to join SHIELD  all my life! To actually meet Director Fury and his elite team! Have you guys met them? I have like all their cards and everything, there is this new girl, her name is Ruari Ace Logan and she's the daughter of Wolverine and she's like totally sick!" He rambled on and on, not even realizing that we were standing right in front of him. 

        Fail.