Chapter 39- In Which We Get To Go To A Secret Base!

Note: I feel like I haven't done enough character edits. I used to do them wayyyy back at the beginning, and I want to do another one. This one is Steve. Yeah I may have already done him. But hey, what gives.

        A stone cliff rose before us. It was imposing, bare and dark. Little rivulets of water ran down and pooled at the bottom. Gerard sighed and Cavendish slept as a tiger. Black Widow had been pacing the cliff-face for over an hour now, looking for who knows what. I stared at the sky and wished for clouds to form pictures out of. I jerked up as the cliff shook and parted. Rubble was scattered at the base. A steel door had appeared, and a glowing keypad shimmered on the door. Black Widow punched in the code. The door opened with a whir. Deadpool's jaw dropped. "This... is.. A SECRET BASE!!" He crowed, skipping inside. 

A SHIELD agent promptly stepped out of the shadows and tased him. He wriggled and fell. The agent approached us. "I'm Agent Hill. Natasha, Clint, and... the rest of you." She gave up naming every single one of us. We all waved. Our bare feet padded on the cold metal floor as she led us to the central control room. Battered computers flickered on and off, and the few agents that were there looked worn out and tired. 

We all got showers, and got back into our various superhero outfits. I was busy eating a large amount of rice and potatoes when Everett walked up to me. He carried a tray of potatoes and rice as well. Deadpool was right behind him. "Wow, you guys look so good in spandex. The three of us should form a 'We-all-look-good-in-spandex-and-Hawkeye-is-jealous' club." I just sighed and continued eating. 

Everett coughed. "This isn't spandex. It's a special advanced material made of formative metals and plastics. It hardens upon a hit, like this." He punched me in the shoulder and I felt the material harden and deflect his light blow. It became pliable again the instant he pulled back. 

        I smiled. "Wow. That's pretty cool." I dug into the steaming pile of mashed potatoes. They were festooned with orange cheese that was gooey and melted. Deadpool's plate was composed wholly of melted orange cheese. How could that be healthy? He seemed happy eating it. "So where can we get weapons?" I asked Everett. He swallowed before answering. 

        "There's an armory farther underground, but Black Widow wants the whole team to meet together." We ate slowly. I hadn't eaten this much food for awhile, and it tasted wonderful. I got up and put my finished tray on the belt to the kitchens. The base was cut stone and concrete, augmented in metal to support the massive weight of stone above and around us. Everett tugged on my wrist impatiently as I looked around. "C'mon, we're going to be late!" I followed him quietly. 

        I stared at his suit as we ran down the hall. It was dark grey with a green symbol on the front, depicting a blinking eye. It looked around, squinted at me, then shut, as if in sleep. "What's the eye for?" I asked as we ran abreast. 

        "For- the- future-" He said, out of breath already. I smiled, understanding him. We stumbled into the room. Well, Everett stumbled, I loped in like a beautiful gazelle. 

        "Well, I've aged a whole year waiting for you three." Black Widow remarked drily. We took our seats with slight chagrin. "So who wants to know what's going on in the world right now?" She asked. 

        "I would like to know my own name..." Deadpool muttered. He hissed as I pinched the inside of his elbow. 

        "So... this is the full story. Ashar runs away and joins Magneto for reasons undetermined. He was reported lost, and Tony Stark, his father went after him. The SHIELD Helicarrier was bombarded by Magneto's troops and completely destroyed. The Avengers Team was kidnapped and many agents left for dead. We were then taken to a labor camp known as.. no given name. The X-Men and the younger team were captured and brought to e same camp. We all underwent severe attacks from the mutant known as Dreamwalker, who is able to mentally attack humans and feed off their life energies and fear. This does physical, mental, and psychological damage to anyone involved. Dreamwalker is to be terminated on sight. She is not to be treated with, not to be talked to. She is a menace. There was a large fire, reportedly arson, set by..." Her sharp eyes flickered around the room to settle on Cavendish. "You?" The shapeshifter simply nodded in answer. "The fire allowed parts of the team to escape; namely, Cavendish, Gerard, Hawkeye, Wolverine, and the younger X-Men. Along with Deadpool." She added, cringing slightly. Deadpool waved at her from the end of the table. She ignored him, but her hands tightened momentarily in annoyance. "However, the remainder of the teams were re-captured and brought to Moscow. Ruari was forced to kill the Russian President. The rest of us were forced to choose sides between Magneto and jail. We choose jail, rapidly escaped and took the trains up to St. Petersburg, and then over the border into Finland, where we found Greenman helping the others. We have since come to the secret base in... pretty much the middle of nowhere. We're going to refuel ourselves, get weapons and divide into teams so that we can go.  All the original Avengers come with me to London,  all the new Avengers go with Ruari to Paris. Let's go!"

        I stood and walked out of the room. Everett, Gerard, Cavendish, Deadpool, and Green Man followed me. "Everett! Where are the armories?" He silently took the lead. Our boot steps seemed to shake the stone walls. We made a few turns and Everett opened a steel door. "Wow..." We collectively gasped. The walls were lined with every imaginable weapon. I went toward the handguns I recognized; the slim military Glocks I was forced to use in the assassination. I picked them up carefully. They didn't weigh much, even after I added the clips. Cavendish hadn't chosen any weapons, and neither had the boys. Deadpool and Greenman were stocking up on all sorts of things however, from arrows to knives to hand-grenades.  

        "Everett? You don't want anything?" I asked. I gave him a small smile as I tucked the pistols into my belt. He shrugged. 

        "I don't know how to use anything." 

        I sighed. "Here, try...." I scanned the room's walls. "This." I pulled down to belts worth of hand grenades and looped them over his shoulders. "We'll put you on a high building and you can throw them down at the enemy." 

        "What do I get to do?" Gerard asked. I handed him the same weapons. He adjusted his glasses with pride at the thought of being able to help in the battle. 

        "You two-" I said, pointing to Gerard and Everett. "Can go with Greenman to the top of some building. All three of you have long-range weapons. Longer-range anyway." They all nodded. "And Cavendish, Deadpool, and I will go into the actual battle, should there be one." We walked out. "Everett, I need your map skill again, where's the plane bay?" He took the lead again. 

        "You nervous?" His hands were shaking. 

        I shook my head. "Not really. I've just got to fly a plane out of here and to Paris. Hopefully it won't be too different from the bush-planes I've flown." The planes waited, dark and sleek for us. No one else was in the bay yet, except for a few agents loading a cargo plane with weapons and other supplies. They glanced at us and looked away quickly. They all looked tired. I walked over to one of them. "Which jet will get me and five other people out of here?" I asked. 

        "Take one of the Quinjets at the end of the runway. They have the white underbellies." An agent said, pausing with a box in her arms. I took it from her. 

        "Let me help with that." I pushed it into position with the other boxes and grabbed another one. "So where are these going?" 

        The agent wiped her forehead with a sigh. "Moscow. To the refugees there. The world's in a sad state right now. All the water supplies are dwindling, which means crops are starting to fail, and animals and people are dying in riots and of dehydration. We can help, so that's what we're going to do." She loaded another box, and I did the same, finishing the stack. "Thanks. Have fun doing whatever you do." 

        "Oh, we just slay people." Deadpool murmured. The agent swallowed nervously and climbed in with the cargo. 

        "We'll be going now." She said. We all waved them off as they taxied out into the brilliant sky. 

        "Now! To our own ship!" Cavendish said, eager to leave. I climbed into the cockpit as the others strapped themselves in. I stared at the controls for a few minutes then decided what to do. It wasn't long before we were flying. 

        "So who's ready to go to Paris?" Gerard asked. 

        "I am! Paris is the City of Love!" Deadpool laughed. 

        "Oh my goodness." I heard Greenman whisper. 

        This was going to be an interesting trip.