Chapter 24- In Which Our Heroes Go to Iceland

After leaving the destroyed New York mansion behind, we boarded a plane that would land in Reykjavik in 8 hours. Loki frowned. "This is like a bird? It flies? And it eats people and carries them away..." He sounded doubtful of the properties of commercial flight planes. I shrugged. Having been on many planes in my lifetime, I knew that we would probably be fine. UNLESS. There were small children on the flight, then I would have to kill them.  I ran my hand through my hair and sighed, watching out the window as the plane rolled slowly down the runway and into position to take off. 

        We gently lifted off the ground. The ground beneath us dwindled into miniature versions of a country I barely knew. The sky and the ocean ahead met each other in a single tight line. Everything was lines. Lines connecting people, lines dividing them. Lines separating cities. Streets were lines that cornered buildings into squares. I thought about lines as I fell asleep.  

        Light from the tiny oval window stabbed at my eyes like thin daggers and I blinked. The captain's or stewardesses voice also woke me up. "We will be landing in the beautiful city of Reykjavik in about a half hour! If you have small children, please make sure another passenger hasn't murdered them because of your bad parenting skills! Other than that, when we deboard the plane please take all of you bags, or I'll eat all those tasty Cheez-its you left behind. Thank you for flying with SouthWest Airlines!" 

        Everett sighed. "At least she tried to be funny..." 

        "She was better than most." Gerard said, on the other side of Everett. He bounced Delphi up and down on his lap as the plane descended. The cat just looked at him like: y yu doo dis to mee hooman y grrrawrr. 

        The plane rushed towards the earth in slow motion, lining up perfectly with the tarmac runway. Clunking indicated the landing gear as we bumped down the runway and slowed to a stop outside the airport. Everyone began to move around the cabin, trying to keep their children and carry-ons with them. We just tried to stay together.  

        After getting off the plane and walking to the car rental place, we stopped. "Guys. We actually have to return the car this time." Cavendish said, eyes narrowed and determined that we would return this car. She fisted her hands as Loki went into the shop to pay for the van. I groaned. 

        "I'm so so so sick! SICK! Of driving places. Did anyone ask how far away this place is?" 

        Everyone shook their heads. 

        We were in for another long car ride.