EPILOGUE

July 26, 1995

3 weeks since Lucky was shot. And in those 3 weeks, my brother was arrested for murder, drug charges, gang-related crimes and Lucky was admitted to the ICU. He has been in an induced coma and has been in and out of consciousness. I've been by his side every day since then.

"Hey, Cynthia," Ms.Smith said walking in with Gracie in hand. "Hey, Ms. Smith. Hey Gracie." I said with sadness in my voice. Ms. Smith gave me a sad smile and Gracie sat down in the chair and played with her dolls. "How's he doing?" she asked. "Good I suppose," I said.

Nothing bad has happened since last night but nothing good happened either. "He'll wake up. We just have to have faith," she said. The longer I don't see Lucky beautiful eyes to more faith I lost and the more guilty I feel.

"This is all my fault," I said wiping off the tears from my eyes. Ms. Smith rushed over to my side, pulled out a chair, and held my hand. "Cynthia this is not your fault. From what I see you two loved each other even when outside forces kept you apart. You two fought for your love. Like a real-life Romeo and Juliet story." she said. I looked at her and said "They died at the end of the story" and we both glanced at Lucky and back at each other. "Sorry bad comparison but what I trying to say is that love is worth fighting for no matter the circumstances and you two fought for your love. So have faith that in the end, you two will hold each other once again," she said and walked back over to Gracie. I took Lucky's hand and gave it a gently squeeze.

******

Hours passed and everyone came to visit. My mom, Katie, Harry, Hallie, and some of his friends from school. It is currently 8:30 at night and my mom and sister stayed to keep Ms.Smith and Gracie company. "We're going to get something to eat do you want something." My mom said lifting up her purse on her shoulder. "Um, bring me back some McDonalds," I said and she nodded her head.

After they left I looked down at Lucky. and this memory popped inside my head my favorite one beside the back seat one.

"Remember that night at the lake house, when you and me were on the beach with the radio playing Aaliyah in the background and we were dancing and making out and I asked you, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" and you said "By your side," and then I said, "You're mad corny how do you know we'll be together in 10 years," and you didn't say anything you just sang the Aaliyah song. Now I get it. You just know and there is no explanation of it." I sniffed. "I see myself by your side Lucky and hope you still see it too." I said.

"When I don't have the strength

I'm just a mirror of what I see

But at your best, you are love

You're a positive motivating

Force within my life

Should you ever feel

The need to wonder why

Let me know, let me know

Let me know"

I sang and hummed the lyrics of Aaliyah's At Your Best, the same song that was playing that night. Then I felt a small squeeze on my hand and I slowly looked down and saw Lucky slowly opening his eyes. "OH, my, God. Lucky," I whispered. My hand gently cupped his faces bis hand slowly snaked his way up my arms.

"That hurt like a motherfucker," he said and I couldn't help but laugh. I quickly pushed my lip against his and even though his lip was dry it felt like the first we kissed. "I'm so sorry," I said when we pulled away.

"What! Don't be. I would take another bullet for you baby," he said.

"Hopefully, you won't have to."

"I love you Cynthia Rose Jones." he said. "I love you too, Lucky Blue Smith."

And the rest is history.