Selena

Friday, March, 31,1995

Today is a sad day for America, waking to the news that Selena Quintanilla has died. I remember when she came to Manhattan and Hallie, Papi and I snuck out just to go. We all got into trouble but it was worth it.

Sitting on the edge of my bed listening to the sad news on the radio, with no strength to get up and put on clothes. Hallie must be dealing with this the hardest because Selena was her hero. Being half Cuban and half black and the current race relation in the country right now Selena proved a light through her music for Hallie.

I hear a knock on my door but I don't move, "Baby, you have to get ready for school." my mom said sadly and I heard footsteps retreating. I looked down at my hands and let out a breath. I finally decide to get up and do my morning hygiene.

I put on a pair of jeans and a plain grey shirt, put my hair in a high ponytail, and put on no makeup. I walked out of my room and headed downstairs. "Good morning sweetie." my mom said to me with a plate full of blueberry muffins.

"Nothing good about it," I mumbled. My mama set the plate down and sat in the kitchen chair beside me. "Look, baby, I know that this is hard for you right now but Selena's in a better place," she said. I know that this is her giving me motherly comfort but I'm not feeling it.

"Mom, I'm gonna be late for school," I said walking towards the door. "Okay sweetie, um see you later," she said before I shut the door. Everyday walking outside listening to my walkman, with an open mind on how the day would go but everything is moving in slow motion.

I see Lucky's car parked in front of my house and I give him half-smile. Ever since we started dating every morning he would park outside of my house and drive me to school. Lucky leans against his car with a sad but assuring look on his face and I slowly walk to him with. He opens his arms and I walk into them. We don't say anything and I'm glad. I needed this.

After a few minutes, Lucky decides to break the silence. "I'm sorry love, I knew how much you loved her," he said through my hair as he rubs my butts. During one of our dates, we were cuddling in my room watching the re-runs of I Love Lucy and he hand found its way on my ass and it was nice, it seemed like it was supposed to be there and then he started to rub them, moment later that night ended in a full-blown nasty makeout session.

"It's gonna be hard, knowing she's not going to make music anymore." I cried to him. I've been holding them in since I found out but I can't anymore. Lucky pulls away and kisses the tears from my eyes. "I know baby but just be thankful that you have the memories of her and the love you have for her music in your heart," he said and that did make me feel better.

"Can we stop by Hallie's on the way to school?" I asked him. He nodded his head and opened his door for me. I got inside and leaned my head against the window. He cranked up his car and started to drive down the street.

We pulled up to the bodega and find Hallie sitting on the stump. When we pulled in front of her, she looked up with tearful eyes. I head signaled her to get in the car and she did. The car ride was silent except for the soft sniffles from Hallie. We got to the school everything seemed normal. We exited the car and headed inside the school.

Inside everyone seemed kinda sad and kinda normal. Lucky wraps his arm around me and lead me to my locker. We get looks for here and there but I've learned to ignore. I don't care what they think, I really like Lucky.

I see Papi sitting on the floor by his locker holding a Selena shirt. At the concert we went to, some guy was throwing shirts from the stage and Papi had to fight a guy for it. It was hilarious.

"Hi Papi,"I said sadly to him. He shrugged his shoulder and wiped his face. Hallie and I sat down next to and rested our heads on his shoulder. We sat there in mourning silence until the bell rung for first period.
^^^^^
^^^^^
Throughout the day students and teachers has had shown some respect to and for Selena, even the morning announcement gave a moment of silence for the fallen singer.

Right now in my art class, I decide to do something to remember Selena my own way. Finishing up the final touches, I look at my work in awe.

 Finishing up the final touches, I look at my work in awe

"She was beautiful wasn't she?" Miss. Colleen said. I nodded my head. "I'll do it." I said still looking at my painting. "Do What?" She asked. I turned to her and smiled. "I'll do the art showcase."

"Really that'll be amazing." She said excitedly. "I want people to see my beauty and I think the showcase will do that." I told her. "I think it will to." She said and we both looked at my painting. Selena May be gone but she will never be forgotten.