Birthday Girl

Thursday, July 4, 1995

Today is my birthday. Now really feeling the day like I usually do but my mom wants me to enjoy myself. You only turn 18 once my mom said to me.

Getting out of my comfy bed with Lucky's arm wrapped around my waist. Lately Lucky and I have been getting kinda sloppy with trying to hide our relationship. But T.J has been gone ever
since Papi's funeral and so has his gang.

I walked to the bathroom and turned on the shower and hopped in.

After I go out Lucky was already sitting up from my bed. "Good morning darling." He said in his morning voice.

"Good morning baby," I said back as I walk to my closet to find something comfy. I hear my bed squeak so I know Lucky is getting out of it.

And I am right, Lucky's big arm wraps around my waist as he places butterfly kisses on my neck. "And happy birthday." He said. "Thank you, baby."

I found a really cute light long sleeve white shirt and light baggy pair of jeans.

"So what are your plans for today." He asked me. I've told him and everyone else a little after Papi's funeral that I didn't want a big party. They all respected my wishes.

"To be honest, I just wanna spend time with you, Hallie and Harry," I told him.
I don't feel like I'm in the partying mood for this birthday. Just wanna hang with friends and family.

"Well, I'm gonna do something for you." He said. "Well have fun with that," I said pulling up my jeans.

"Oh, I plan to and by the end of the day you are going to have the best birthday in your entire life," he said as he buttoned up his shirt and ran out the door

After I finished getting dress, I popped in "The Breakfast Club" into my VCR and got back in the bed.

********************

Lucky's Pov

"Look, Harry, I want this party to be right for her." I cried out. After I left Cynthia's house I drove over to Harry's to get some assistance. "Didn't she just say she didn't want a party?" he questioned. 

"Yeah, she did but this isn't a party just a small get together with close friends and some family members and since she was born on America's independence day we can do the American things like firecrackers but that's all I can come up with" I ranted.

I've been think bout this for a while. I already bought the firecrackers and the fire sparkers things and that is pretty much it.

"Okay what is the one thing the Americans do on their independence day and birthdays," he said. We both stare off into the space to think of something and I can't think of anything.

I've only been in America for a few months. Harry has been here longer hen should know. But then Harry snaps out of his headspace and snaps his finger. 

"Oo, barbeque. Americans love to do that and they like to eat apple pie," he said and I nod my head.

"Who do we know that can barbeque and where are we going to have this get together," I asked him.

*****************

*****************

"Keith you sure you know how to do this," I asked him. Keith is one of Harry's friends we hung out a few time and he is pretty cool. He's very afro-centric.

"Don't you worry my British brother, barbeque is the pathway to every black man must know to strive in the no-flava having white man world," he ranted and knowing him he has way more to say so I stop him before he goes further. "I'll take you word for it," I said to him. 

I turned to Hallie. "Did you get the cake?" I asked her. She looked at me confused and I mimicked her expression.

"I thought you were getting the cake?!" she said.

"No, uh-uh you were getting the cake." I said back to her and the realization flooded her face. "Damn!" she yelled out and rushed back to her parents car.

"Okay, I'm going to go and pick up Cynthia." I told Harry. "Alright mate, I got this from here."   jogged to my car and sped off to Cynthia's house

************

************

"Lucky I'm ready to go home now" Cynthia begged. Once I drove back to her house I convinced her to get into my car and I drove her to al her favorite places in New York. Just until her party is finished. Now I blindfolded her and I driving her to the park.

"We are?"

"Then why am I blindfolded ?" she asked.  "Because it's bright outside. You might blind yourself." the weakest excuse I could come up with.

"Are you throwing me a birthday party or something?" she asked. "No," I said hesitantly.

I pulled into the park and saw everyone ready. I parked the car and rushed over to her side to open the door.  I grabbed her hand and guided her out of the car.   "Lucky if don't tell me what going on I'm gonna punch you." she threatened.

"Okay, shortstop." I joked. Compared to me she is the size of a little kid. We walked to the setup and gave Harry and Cynthia's mom a head nod. They all lit up their sparklers and I removed Cynthia's blindfolded. 

"Surprise!" Everyone shouted.

Cynthia's face was full of shock and she turned to me. "I said didn't want a party."

"Look this your birthday, your first one with the love of your life. Just have fun with me." I said. She let a sigh and leaned up to kiss me. 

"Happy Birthday, Cynthia!" Hary said walking up to us. We pulled apart and looked at Harry. "Um, why do you have an apple pie?" Cynthia asked him.

"Because it's American."