First Date

LUCKY'S POV

Friday, March 25, 1995

I pulled up to Cynthia's street seeing two little boys sitting on her porch blasting Tupac from their boombox and cars cruising by. Before driving here, my mom gave me a two-hour long talk about sex. And it was uncomfortable, involving a banana and a condom, and pamphlets, STDs. Parents sure know how to scar your life.

Before I got out of the car I grabbed the bouquet I bought for Cynthia. I know that she loves pink so I order the flowers yesterday. I hope that she likes them.

I walked up to her house with the lit porch light and the dark gray shutters with the steps leading up to the front door on the side

I walked up to her house with the lit porch light and the dark gray shutters with the steps leading up to the front door on the side. I can feel myself sweat and not just beacause its humid outside. Ever since we meet I couldn't stop thinking about her and now that we are going on a date, I'm freaking out. I think I'm gonna pass out

I slowly walk up to her door front steps and goes to open the screen door but it's locked. feeling nervous again I licked my lip and knocked three times, loud and clear. I hear a yell from behind the door. Suddenly, the door is being opened and a man, maybe 25, stand before me. T smell of beer and weed hits hard.

"Yeah," he said leaning against the door. He starts eyeing me up and down making me uncomfortable and rising my anger. I should have taken my pills.

He shifts his weight on the step and I stepped up to him and said "I'm here for Cynthia for our date,"

"A white boy," he scoffs in an attitude.

"Yeah, I guess so," I said matching his attitude. He sizes me up and I size him up not backing down. "T.J. who is that?" A female voice yells it doesn't sound like Cynthia but older. I looked behind T.J and saw a tall dark-skinned woman, she looked like Cynthia and Katie so I assume that's their mother.

"You must be Lucky," she said walking up to the front door. "Yes, I am. And I must say I know where Cynthia got her beautiful eyes from."  I said to her and I'm not just saying. Cynthia has the most beautiful brown eyes I have ever seen that have a unique sparkle in them and her mom have those same eyes. "

Cynthia's mom blushed and said "Thank you, Cynthia will be down in a minute. I'll go check on her." she rushes off leaving T.J. and me alone. He steps closer to me and stood a little closer to him letting him know that I will not back down. "Listen to me, white boy," he snaps, "I know what boys like you want with a black girl from Brooklyn and you don't wanna take my sister to no damn movies," he growls in my face.

"You don't know a damn thing about me," I growl back then suddenly he grabs my collar shirt and pushes me to the rough brick wall. Now I'm pissed. Fuming actually. "If you do anything to that girl, I. Will. Kill. You. Understand." he said. I push him off of me and looked him dead in his eyes.

"Understand," I said through gritty teeth.

"Okay!" Cynthia yells, her voice is close to the window. T.J. takes a few steps back from me and I fix the mess me made out of my clothes as Cynthia comes bouncing to the door. When she comes in full view I see that she has on a plaid dress and a long sleeve white shirt. She looks stunning and sexy.