Meeting Mum

Thursday, May 6, 1995

"Love, I think we should ditch prom," Lucky said the second time, at first I didn't catch what he said the first time. He looks so beautiful when water is just coming down on him. "Hmmm, what. Why?" I asked looking up at his soapy body. "Because we won't be able to spend our first and last prom together," He said. "I know baby but this could also be Hallie, Papi and I's last prom together and I want to spend time with them" I can tell he's disappointed but he pulls me into a hug.

 "I know baby but this could also be Hallie, Papi and I's last prom together and I want to spend time with them" I can tell he's disappointed but he pulls me into a hug

"I'm sorry," I said to him. He pulls away and looks at me. "There's nothing to be sorry about, we're going have the best prom ever," he said. He leans down and planted his lips onto mines. Both of us fight for dominance on our lips, we both let out a deep moan but I had to pull away.

 Both of us fight for dominance on our lips, we both let out a deep moan but I had to pull away

"We need to stop before this leads to something else," I said to him. He smiled on my lips, "Why is that a bad thing,"

"Because we have plans today and I don't want to be late," I turned off the faucet and stepped out of the shower. He followed me to my room and picked out a pair of clothes. Last time he spent the night he brought over some extra clothes. "Cynthia, there is something I wanted to ask you something," he asked putting on his shirt.

"Of course baby,"

"Will you like to meet my mother?" he asked, I stopped what I was doing and look at him. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, I told her so much about you already and she wants to meet you?"

"Really? Does she know I'm black."

"Yes and I don't see why that matters."

"It matters because some people are not okay with interracial relationships."

"Well, whoever doesn't like us being together can jump off a cliff and die."

"I think that's the point of jumping off the cliff," I joked.

"Oh shut it. My point is that even though some situations have put a halt in our relationship I still want to show you off to the world as my girlfriend," he states. "Well, since you put it that way," I walked over to him and placed my arms around his neck.

"I would love to," I said and leaned up to kiss his lips.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I can't believe you're going to meet his mama," Hallie said from my bed looking through her magazine. "I know and I'm freaking the fuck out," I say back surfing through a mountain of clothes for the dinner tonight.

"Make sure your talk right!" Papi said. I popped my head out of my closet. "What do you mean?"

"Well, Lucky's British right."

"Yeah,"

"So his family's British and British people talk all fancy and shit so what you got to do is talk just as fancy as them, "Papi said

"That the dumbest shit I've ever heard," Hallie says

"No, it makes sense...."

I popped my head back inside my closet as they get into their daily argument and pull out the perfect outfit.

I stepped out of my closet. "How does this look?" I asked them. They stopped their argument and looked at me. "You look bomb," Hallie said and Papi nodded in agreement.

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^

"So Cynthia what are your long term goals," Carol asked me before taking a sip of her wine, I stopped eating the smother mushroom steak that's good. "Umm, to be completely honest, I'm not sure. I love art and I want to make a career out of it but I'm not trying to be a struggling artist. So I'm still trying to figure that out." I tell her. Well, I have seen your work and I think it's lovely," she said taking me by surprise. "You have?" She nodded her head and took a bite out of her. 

I looked at Lucky and he shrugged his shoulders. "So, do you love my son"? she asked me. Lucky and I both choked on our food. and started to stammer and stutter. "Mom, we are not there yet, but we are on our way." He said and I nodded in total agreement. 

I like Lucky and as time goes by I see myself falling in love with him. If only Ihave the courage to say those words to him. "Well, the sooner the better cause you don't want to miss an opportunity at true love. Trust me I know, I could have been Mrs. Elton John," she said.  I looked at Lucky and he shooked his head.

"Sure you would've mum," he said and we all continued eating and talking.

^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^

"That was an amazing dinner, Mrs.Smith," I tell her while helping clean up the dishes. "Thank you, darling," she said. 

She grabbed my arm making me drop it in the water. "I like you and I think you are a nice girl for m son, Cynthia. I truly do but be careful with my son, he is very fragile," she said and I understand what she means. He can be a ticking time bomb if he is not careful with meds and I'm proud that he has been taking them more often. 

"I will, ma'am". I promised her.