Meet&Greet

Monday, March 12, 1995

Hitting the snooze button on my clock and hearing my mama yell. "Cynthia time for school!" Is every day in my household. I lazily get up from my cozy, comfy, bed and turned on my boom box. The intro to Teddy Pendergrass Wake up Everybody, starts to play and I start my day with my morning hygiene.

After I'm done with my hygiene I put in my clothes and, I took off my hair bundles and my natural curls bounced down. "Damn gurl you looking good today." I say in my man voice. "I know darling, I know." I reply to myself in my fake British voice. I did my makeup and put in my nose ring. "Let's get this day started right." I sang in my bathroom mirror and walked out.

Waking downstairs putting my book bag on my shoulder and attaching my walking man to my belt

Waking downstairs putting my book bag on my shoulder and attaching my walking man to my belt. I see my mama cooking, my sister Katie eating at the kitchen table and hear the morning tv news. "Good morning mama." I sing out.

"Good morning baby." She says putting a plate full of food in front of Katie.

I signed to her and she signed back

I signed to her and she signed back. About a year ago, Katie was in a bad accident and it damages her auditory cortex basically the part of the brain that is associated with hearing. She can partially hear sounds with the help of her hearing aid but the doctors said that she needs to get used to the sign language she can still talk and her hearing partially still there but as she gets older her hearing will be completely gone.

Going to sign language classes, doctors appointment and sending her to a private school just for people like have been hard. Especially for a single mother but we have been taking it like a champ and we all have jobs to help around. Like my mom, Angela, is a RN at the hospital, I work in a record store and my brother,well, since my daddy died he's been rolling with the local gang, the Blood Diamond Crew. He helps out too but doesn't mean my mama like what he do it just mean that we need all the help we can get.

"I heard from a little birdie that you got in late last night from a party." She says putting her hand on her hip looking at me. Dammit, I thought they asses was sleep. I looked at Katie and saw that she was giggling. I scoff at her and signed,