Epologue

Epilogue

Year something in early summer

The sky was bright and laughter filled the streets as the King looked longingly out from his balcony. Despite his position, his attire was simple and his crown was simply a golden band upon his head. His brown hair hung over his dark, twinkling eyes as he watched the courtyard below.

“What are you doing?”

He closed his eyes and smiled, turning back to look at his Queen. “Just enjoying the view, dearest,” He grinned playfully, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

She blinked and returned the smile, her deep blue eyes laughing at him. “So, have they arrived yet?” She asked as she peered outside, her long, black hair draping over her shoulder.

“No,” The King sighed, shaking his head, “they never arrive on time.”

“Well, you can’t blame them,” She smiled as laughter reached her ears.

Two small children rushed into the room, playing in the strangest manner. The girl, whose hair was a strange, deep green had the boy, whose hair was bright golden, wrapped up in a long thin vine. There was a small flash of white as the boy broke from his bonds and ran to the window.

“Drake, Violet!” The Queen stifled a laugh as the boy hid behind her, “what have I said about using magic carelessly?”

Drake frowned, looking up at his mother sadly. “But it’s so much fun!” he exclaimed as small lights flew out of his hair and he began chasing them.

Violet giggled as she took her vine and began tying and untying multiple knots in it without touching it once. “See what I mean?” The Queen smiled, gesturing to the small children.

The King sighed, shaking his head. “I envy them,” he mumbled, and looked up out balcony and his face lit up, “Here they come!”

Sure enough, three figures where rushing through the gate way and into the castle. Within moments a young boy burst into the room, his dark hair hanging in his eyes.

“Uncle Dane!” He cried, tackling the King, “We made it alive!”

Dane laughed, ruffling the boy’s shaggy head and turned to see His sister and her husband standing in the doorway.

“Vladimir, be gentler,” Quinne scolded as the boy ran back to her, “you should know better.”

The boy scowled, crossing his arms across his chest. “Mom, you know I don’t like when you call me that,” He mumbled.

His father smiled down at him and looked up. “Dane, Elliora, you’re looking well today,” He placed a hand on Dane’s shoulder, “I hope I’m not here on unhappy terms.”

“No, just a pleasant meeting, Avron,” Dane’s smile turn into an evil grin, “but I might want to talk to you later about an unfriendly neighboring kingdom that won’t stop bugging me.”

Avron laughed, and turned back to Quinne, wrapping his arm around her.

“Any news from Vincent?” Quinne asked, turning to Elliora.

“Same stubborn cousin as always,” Elliora sighed and then smiled, “He won’t admit it but I think he enjoys the Dragen’s mountain village.”

Quinne nodded then turned to watch as Vlad struggled with the vine wrapping itself around his ankles. “Cut it out, Vio!” He smirked and lunged at her, but Drake tackled him first.

Avron smiled and turned to Quinne, pressing his lips to hers. She returned the kiss, wrapping her arms around him. Somewhere outside a bird began to sing and her thoughts drifted off to the Dragen Wood. She recalled the days long gone and battles that were fought. The rain that seemed to fall endlessly and the sun breaking through the trees. But most of all, she remembered the sacrifice and the victory and she knew.

It was not in vain.