Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Preparing for Battle

Avron sat cross-legged in front of the swirling black lake in of his world. The ripples were haunting yet captivating, urging him to slip into the black depths.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Avron was immediately to his feet looking back at the slim form of Norva, leaning against a charred tree. “Calm down, Avron,” Norva chuckled, his eyes closed and head drooped, “I’m not interested in taking over the body right now. I’m simply here to want you.”

“Since when does Avro’ Nova worry about me?” Avron couldn’t help but laugh, “What does he know that could possible help me anyway?”

“You underestimate his strength in this place,” Norva stood up straight and held up an outstretched arm, clenching his fist.

Immediately, Avron’s from was hanging in mid-air gasping for breath as he was slowly being crushed by an invisible force. The ground began to tremble the more Avron struggled. “Sadly, your spirit here is the life of this world and our body,” Norva spat, dropping his hand and watching Avron collapse to the ground at the same time, “if getting rid of you were that easy, you would’ve been dead long ago.”

“So what can he do other than simply torture me and damage this world?” Avron gasped, smiling coldly.

“Such idiocy,” Norva sighed, looking up at the falling ashes, “perhaps you need to visit him again? Then maybe you won’t speak about your very being so carelessly.”

Norva grinned and snapped his fingers. Avron cried out in shock as the ground beneath him collapsed into a portal, sending him to a far corner of his world.

Boy, foolish boy. That’s what you are.

Avron gasped as meaningless words that were not his own echoed through and around him. He looked up to see a boulder, worn and cracked, jutting up out of the ground before him. An eerie, crimson light shone from one of the larger cracks in the rock.

You dare question me, boy? Is that what you really want to do?

Avron groaned, clutching his head in his hands, trying to shut out the voice that seemed to be coming from the light in the boulder. “N-no,” Avron chuckled, slowly standing to his feet, “You’re wrong.”

Silence. There was no reply from the stone. “I’m not a boy,” Avron covered half his face with one hand, “much less a man.”

Yes. What are you then?

“A monster!” Avron screamed, tears streaming down his face as he stared desperately at the rock. No, not the rock, but what was inside of it.

That’s right, Monster. Now don’t you ever forget that for a moment.

Avron choked back sobs as he collapsed back down into the ashes, listening to dull laughter of the thing inside the broken stone. “That’s much better, now isn’t it?” Norva’s voice reached his ears and he looked back up.

He was back by the lakeside, Norva sitting in front of him, smiling at him mockingly. Avron growled and struck him across the cheek. Norva only laughed playfully at the blow, unfazed by it. “There’s still the matter of the warning I’m suppose to give you,” Norva chuckled, brushing his hand over the spot where Avron hit him.

“Get it over with,” Avron hissed, his eyes still red from the tears.

“You and the Dragen are foolish for trying to reach into William’s mind,” Norva began, reclining backwards.