Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The Betrayal

The Dragen Wood had never felt emptier for Quinne as two full days dragged by. Half of the Rebels had guessed of what had happened while the rest were completely unaware of the horror before them. Vlad had refused to say anything yet for reasons unknown to Quinne. “Maybe he thinks there’s still hope,” She would tell herself and then remember Avron’s smiling face.

Dane was one of the few who guessed Avron wouldn’t come back, but Quinne didn’t say anything to him. Luke had returned yesterday, without his rider which rose the suspicions even more. Quinne wanted to be hopeful but the reality would always come back to her at the end of day when she was about to fall asleep. Avron was dead and they were all doomed. Someday soon Vlad would announce that they all leave to find their homes and perhaps have a chance at life again. But how could Quinne ever go back. The thought of leaving the Resistance was unbearable. Maybe she could convince Dane to stay with her and they could live here, haunted by the memories of war for the rest of their lives.

Quinne sighed longingly, wishing that Avron had never wanted to attack the castle. Everything felt so hollow, the rain falling around her seemed to echo through the emptiness. “Is there any hope at all?” She cried aloud, staring up at the dark sky, “Is there any way that William could still be defeated?”

Silence. Quinne had never realized it before but after losing him, she realized Avron had become a large part of her life. Since he was gone, she now felt that her heart had just been ripped right from her chest.

“Quinne?”

She turned, teary eyed to see Christopher standing on the branch next to her. “I know this is a bad time, but I really need to talk with you,” he bit his bottom lip.

“Okay,” Quinne smiled, trying to hide the pain.

“Follow me please,” Christopher gestured back behind them and began walking along the branches.

Quinne didn’t know what was wrong with talking where they were but she followed him anyway. He took careful steps, crossing over branches and traveling along the treetops, stopping every once and a while to see if Quinne was still there. After what seemed like an hour Christopher finally began heading downward until they were back on the forest floor.        “There you are.”

Quinne looked to see Alden and a large group of Rebels standing beside the small river that ran all the way through Dragen Wood. “What’s going on?” Quinne asked, looking from one rebel to another.

“Quinne, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you for a long time,” Christopher looked nervously down at the ground, “I’m a part of a secret group that has been surviving since the beginning of Avron. We all know he’s a monster and needs to be ended.”

His words weren’t making any sense to Quinne. “You mean, you’re working for William?” Quinne took a step back staring at him cautiously.

“No, no. Of course not,” Christopher laughed, shaking his head, “We want William dead just as much as everyone else. But we want Avron dead as well.”

“He doesn’t realize it,” Quinne thought to herself, “He thinks Avron is alive.”

“I know you still think Avron is good underneath but I have a story that might change your mind,” Christopher took a step towards her, all the kindness in his eyes gone, “Long ago, there were two siblings who came into the Resistance. Xarra, the younger sister whom you resemble greatly, and Koran, the older brother.