Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The Rage of the Storm

Quinne woke to the sound of a horn blast across the forest. Jumping from her bed, she rushed outside to see all able bodied men, preparing for battle. The sky was light, but still grey as Quinne looked about her. She whistled and Freyda leapt to her side almost instantly.

“What’s going on?” Quinne asked, afraid of the answer.

“It’s happened,” Freyda spat in disgust, “William’s forces are closing in on the base and will be here within moments.”

Quinne felt her heart skip a beat and, for a moment, found it hard to breathe. She gulped in air and allowed herself to calm down. “Well, let’s make sure we’re ready when they come,” Quinne leapt onto Freyda back, “let’s get to the weaponry.”

Once there, Quinne rushed into the shack and selected her weapons, making sure her quiver was full. She nearly smacked into Vlad on her way back out and had to jump away to avoid getting run over by him.

“Quinne!” he gasped, stumbling backwards to escape collision.

“Busy morning,” Quinne panted, heaving her bow over her shoulder, “Well, if I don’t see you again soon, let’s hope it’s because one of us is dead.”

 She turned, but Vlad snatched her wrist. “Quinne,” he bit his lip, breathing hard.

She looked back at him, but he didn’t meet her gaze. He was silent, but didn’t let her go either.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, stepping back towards him.

“Nothing,” he shook his head slowly, letting her hand fall, “just, try not to get killed out there.”

Quinne blinked slowly, and smiled, “you too.”

She turned leaving Vlad alone in the weaponry. “Please,” he begged to no one in particular, shaking his head, “I don’t care if I die a thousand times over, just let her live.”

|::|

Avron gripped his poleax tightly, watching the horizon intently. He knew William would appear between the trees at any moment, and the final battle would begin. He stared at the weapon in his hands, the black blade reflecting the dark canopy above. Thunder could be heard in the distance as rain began to pour.

Avron looked up as something flashed. The first soldiers came hurling down through the trees, followed by an army more massive than Avron hand ever seen the likes of before.

“They’re here!” Avron cried, turning back towards his own small battalion, “Keep them out of the base at all costs!”

He turned and rushed into the forest, clashing blades with the nearest soldier. As he fought his way forward and glanced around. William’s army seemed to have the main base surrounded on all sides. There was no way they could hold them off for longer than an hour. He ignored the slim chances of survival and pressed onward through the battle.

“Need a lift?”

Avron looked up to see Luke towering above him, blood already staining his pure white fur. Avron smirked and nodded before hurling himself upon the Dragen’s back. “Find William,” Avron commanded, “perhaps if we can take out the leader, the rest will give up.”

Luke nodded, charging through the masses. It didn’t take long to find King William making his way through his legions. Avron didn’t wait for Luke to stop and leapt from the Dragen’s back.

“Ah, there he is,” William smirked, unsheathing his sword, “well, what do you think of my army?”

“I think you should work harder on gathering actual warriors and not farmers,” Avron glowered, standing firm.