Prologue

Prologue

The Philosophers Stone.

It gives the one thing that everyone craves for. Without this childish desire, our world would simply become empty dreams. But, then again, if we had possession over it, the consequences would be unthinkable.

Immortality.

In our world we wish this were a reality. But, in The Axis, it is feared and unwanted, for the fact remains that it actually exists. But Immortality was just another one of those childhood stories. Until, one fateful day, a small mountain tribe known as the Dragen found the only Philosopher’s Stones in existence. Everyone living there took one, but a single stone remained. They attempted to give the stone to the next born in the village, but when the child proved to be Immortal as well, there was no one to give the stone to. The only choice left was to hide the stone in the heart of the mountain where no one would find it. As time passed, only the village elders knew of the last stone’s existence, and its curse. After much study, the Philosopher’s Stone proved to be a living soul itself.

Two, actually.

One soul containing nothing but the Light of the world, while the other was constantly feeding on Darkness. Though complete opposites, the two were like brothers, inseparable. One could not live under control with the other gone. Both longed for their own body, but together had no power over their possessor. The Dragen elders could only hope that the last stone was never split.

But it was.

In years to come, a single man’s mistake caused the stone to split.

And Darkness was given to the wrong soul.