Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Something

“Quinne?”

She dared a peak at the sound of her name being called. She let out a cry of joy to see it was Avron before her, not Avro’ Nova. Quinne removed the sword from his chest and wrapped her arms around him, laughing and sobbing at the same time.

Avron smiled, returning the embrace, burying his face in her shoulder. “Thank goodness you’re alright!” he gasped in relief, tears streaming down his cheeks, “Once I had been taken over, I didn’t know what to think!”

For one peaceful moment, they sat there together in each other’s arms, wanting to forget the world. A cry broke the silence and Quinne looked to see William attacking a Dragen with all his might, and even though the large wolf was obviously dying, he still stood firm.

“It’s not over yet.”

“Vlad!” Avron smiled getting to his feet, “it’s good to see you okay!”

Quinne looked up to see Vlad staring determinedly off into the distance, though she could tell there was a hint of sorrow in his eyes.

“William still needs to be defeated,” Vlad looked to Avron and nodded slowly, “it’s time to end this.”

“But, Vincent-,” Avron looked back towards the battling Dragen, looking for the young Sorcerer.”

“Is being distracted by Elliora at the moment,” Vlad smirked, gesturing back into the thick of the forest, “She seemed pretty excited to be able to knock some sense into that fearful little brain of his.”

“Right then,” Avron bent down and picked up his poleax, “and Avro’ Nova will need a major boost to gain any strength at all, so now the only thing standing in the way of freedom is King William.”

Avron looked back at Quinne and helped her to her feet. “Thank you for saving me,” he chuckled, brushing a loose strand of hair out of her face, “I don’t know what I would’ve done without you.”

Quinne glance down at the ground, feeling her cheeks grow warm. “I-it was nothing really,” She mumbled, “Avro’ Nova’s a lot bigger and slower than you are so it wasn’t hard at all.”

Avron smiled and cupped his hand under her chin, lifting her head up. “I’m grateful, but this time, I need you to stay out of harm’s way,” He bit his bottom lip, seeing the determination in her eyes.

“But-!” Quinne tried to speak up but Avron placed his finger against her lips to silence her.

“Please, Quinne,” He smiled softly, “I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if you got hurt because you tried to protect me.”

Quinne pursed her lips and looked away from him. “Alright,” she mumbled, before looking up at him pleadingly, “just come back to me in one piece.”

Avron grinned determinedly, and nodded. “I’ll see you again,” he hesitated a moment as she looked away from him once more before leaning forward and pressing his lips to her cheek, “I promise.”

With that, Avron turned and rushed towards the struggling Dragen and soon disappeared within the masses. Quinne stood in silence, watching as the Dragen seemed to fall back.

“C’mon,” Vlad stepped forward, placing a hand on her shoulder, “We should get back now.”

|::|

Avron approached William once more as the king got ready to finish off another Dragen. “No you don’t!” Avron lunged, diving underneath the falling blade and blocking the blow with the handle of his ax.