Chapter 5

Chapter 5

His Own World

Quinne blinked, starring up at the ceiling. She wasn’t sure how long she had been awake she could see the light peeking in through the window like holes. She sat up on the small cot gazing around her new home. Moss covered every inch of the floor and even began climbing up the walls formed by the roots. Unlike some of the trees, the inside was just a simple room instead wrapping around the center root.

“Quinne?” Dane’s voice sounded beyond the flap covering the doorway, “you up yet?”

“Yeah,” She smiled, pulling back the curtain, “just got up.”

He returned the smile, a quiver slung over his shoulder and a bow in hand. “I was just going to do some target practice,” He gestured over to an archery range, “thought I’d check to see if you wanted to join me before going over there.”

“Sure!” Quinne stepped outside, but stopped, “wait. I left all of my weapons behind.”

To her surprise Dane laughed. “Well, if you didn’t notice,” He showed her his bow, “this is not my actual bow.”

She stared at the weapon. It sure wasn’t the same bow he had had his whole life. The upper and lower limb were made from a wood Quinne had never seen before. In fact, it looked more like some sort of metal, not wood. The grip was wrapped with a thick but smooth, grey leather. The string looked like it was made from the same material of the grip.

“This is amazing!” Quinne ran her fingers over the flawless limb of the bow, “what’s it made out of?”

“They call it the skeleton of the Immensia tree,” Dane answered, “it can’t be burned or sliced, but it can be melted and molded into the shape they want it.” He point to the leather grip and then to the bow string, “Dragen who are willing will allow for their fur to be trimmed. Since the fibers in their fur is so durable, the fur melts instead of burning. Once melted it can be stretched out into leather.” Dane let out a huff, shaking his head, “very difficult process which I still don’t fully understand myself.”

Quinne blinked, cocking her head to the side. “And you’ve been here for how long?” She asked curiously, wondering how he got so much information in such little time.

“Well, you can learn a lot in a few hours,” Dane chuckled, shaking his head, “especially if you spend it with someone like Vlad.”

“Oh?” Quinne suddenly lost interest in the topic, and began looking around, “so where can I get myself a bow?”

“There’s a weaponry just over that way,” Dane pointed back behind him, “it’s the only actual building in the camp.”

Quinne nodded and rushed in the direction he pointed. “See you at the archery range in a few minutes!” She called over her shoulder.

Quinne skidded to a stop just outside the weaponry. It reminded her a lot of a blacksmith’s working area. Weapons of all sorts lined the walls compete with a whetting stone in the center.

Quinne walked under the roof and scanned the walls for a bow. Being careful to grab one that wasn’t already owned, she picked out one with a silvery blue leather grip and string. Trying to speed up, she quickly picked out a plain, black quiver and studied the arrows inside. The shaft, fletching, and arrow head had simply all been molded together. Quinne slung the quiver over her shoulder and was about to leave when something caught her eyes. A spear was tucked away in the far corner behind her. She turned back and picked up the weapon to study it. There was a black blade at each end, both razor sharp. The staff was beaten and in need of replacement. The leather of the two handle grips were frayed and worn down. As she was about to put back the double-bladed spear when a hand grabbed her shoulder.