Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Avron

Year 2545, Late Autumn

Bare feet rushed through the field, the wet grass dampening their clothes. The older child looked back at his younger sister. “Not much farther, Quinne” He smiled, his brown eyes twinkling.

            Quinne, the smaller one, nodded and clung to the base of his tunic tighter. The boy laughed and ran faster. Quinne tried to keep up, but her quick short steps were no match for his long strides. She panted trying to get a better grip but her hands were slipping. “Dane!” She whimpered, “You’re going to fast!”

            Dane stopped for just a moment, reaching back and taking hold of his sister in his arms, and then was off again. Quinne turned her head into the breeze, her long black hair getting in her eyes. The fresh air felt good against her skin. She smiled and began to giggle, her locks tickling her face.

            Dane grinned and laughed with her, running even faster. At last, he came over a hill and stopped on top of it. “Look,” he panted, still smiling.

            Quinne turned towards the horizon and gasped in amazement. The sun was just not rising. The mist that hovered over the valley glistened in the light, making the world look as if it was made of glass. The clouds were different shades of pink and orange as the sun rose between them. “Pretty!” Quinne exclaimed, her small hands reaching out as if to grab the colors and hold them forever.

            They stood there admiring the view until the sun grew too bright to stare at. Slowly, the colors faded into a lonely shade of blue grey and the mist vanished. Quinne drew back and leaned against her brother, “let’s come back sometime,” she whispered, snuggling deeper in his arms.

            His expression softened as he smiled sadly at his sister. “Okay, sis.”

            “Promise?” She yawned, stroking his thick, brown hair.

            “I promise,” he kissed her forehead as she fell into a deep sleep.

            Dane turned around and headed back towards the small cottage behind them. He walked slowly, careful not to disturb Quinne. By the time he reached the wooden door into their home, the sun had been blocked out by dark storm clouds. He opened the door and stepped inside, stomping the mud off his boots. “Dane!”

            He looked up to see his mother rush out of her chair and to his side. “Where have you been?” She scolded and then noticed Quinne, “what happened? Is she alright?”

            Dane sighed as Quinne stirred slightly but didn’t wake up. “She’s fine, mum,” He mumbled, rolling his eyes, “I was just showing her the sunrise.”

            “Well, if that’s all,” she let a small sigh, but didn’t relax, “you should have just asked.”

            “To walk up a hill?” Dane stared at her in disbelief, “Mom, it’s still our land, right? What’s wrong with leaving the house for just a few minutes?”

            “Dane, you should know better than any of us,” She crouched down, putting a hand on Quinne’s head, as it was laying on Dane’s shoulder, “It may be our land, but King William still owns it; guards are on patrol constantly.”

            “Who cares about guards!” Dane smiled determinedly, jabbing his thumb at his chest, “I’m fully capable of taking care of both me and Quinne.”