Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Warmth

“You look awful.”

Vlad scowled, glancing over at Elliora where she sat on the cot next to his. “Go away,” he moaned, laying his arm across his eyes, “I don’t have enough energy for you.”

Elliora smiled, and sighed. “You can get up if you want,” she urged, “I won’t tell anyone.”

She stood and helped Vlad sit up straight before sitting back down herself. “You look like you need to get something off your chest,” She tilted her head to the side, “want to talk about it?”

“I don’t know,” Vlad looked at her curiously, “I’ve only met you a couple times and you still freak me out a little.”

Elliora laughed, flipping her violet hair out of her face. “I won’t bite,” she leaned forward, “c’mon, tell me.”

“I can’t,” Vlad shook his head, refusing to meet her gaze, “I can’t tell anyone.”

“Wait a second,” Elliora forced Vlad’s head up, staring at his blue eyes intently, “Where have a seen that look before?”

Vlad felt his cheeks grow warm and Elliora smiled. “That’s it!” She drew back, “Avron had that same look on his face after Xarra died!”

“Shush!” Vlad hissed, almost able to see his red cheeks, “you can’t just go shouting that around!”

“It’s Quinne, isn’t it?” she looked up at the ceiling, “you’re worried, maybe even a little scared.”

“Is it really that obvious?” Vlad mumbled, shaking his head.

“I won’t tell,” Elliora swayed back and forth, “but you should.”

“What?” Vlad looked at her in disbelief, “I can’t do that.”

“Maybe you can’t,” Elliora sighed and headed for the exit, clutching her bandaged side.

She stopped as she reached for the flap and looked back at Vlad, “But it’s better to be insulted by everyone, than to hide love from one person.”

|::|

“Avron!”

He gasped, bolting upright, and nearly smacked his head against Quinne’s. She jumped back to avoid collision and let out a sigh of relief. “You scared me,” she huffed, “so what happened? Was it Norva?”

“No, Norva’s gone for good,” Avron shook his head, “I was hoping this wouldn’t happen, but ti turns out Avro’ Nova is stronger than I thought. It was him creating those replicas and I don’t think I can afford to let my guard down once.”

He got to his feet and helped Quinne up off the ground. “You okay?” he asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Yeah,” she pursed her lips, “I thought I’d make out of the lake to be honest, though.”

Quinne shivered, recalling the suffocating sensation. “It almost felt like,” she paused, trying to think of the right word.

“Getting stuck under a blanket,” Avron finished, taking a sudden interest in the floor.

Quinne blinked, thinking for a moment, and burst into laughter. “I’m sorry,” she giggled, “I shouldn’t laugh at that.”

Avron smiled, shaking his head. “No, it’s alright,” he shrugged, chuckling, “I find it a little humorous myself now.”