Alone in the Foyer

"You're a piece of shit, Brendon," she yelled. "Get out of my face if you're going to call me names! I don't even know what I did," I shouted back. "You know exactly what you did! Maybe try taking ownership of something for once, you fucking asshole!" My girlfriend came stomping over to me and punched me in the eye. "Why would you do that," I asked, my voice breaking. "That's how you make me feel when you treat me the way you do," she shouted. I went to run upstairs and lock myself in the bathroom, but she stepped in front of me to block my path. "Anna, get out of my way," I told her, tears welling up in my eyes. "You don't get to boss me around and treat me like shit, Brendon! I'm not some doll for you to abuse," she yelled, grabbing my jaw harshly in her hands and pushing me against the wall. I slid down the wall and put my head in my hands. "Yeah, fucking cry about it, Brendon. I'm the one who should be crying. My own boyfriend treats me like dirt," she scoffed, continuously jamming into my side with the heel of her stiletto. I shook my head as she walked into the foyer and grabbed her purse. "No, Anna. Come on," I pleaded, painfully getting up and not wanting her to leave. I almost vomited from the pain. "I'm leaving, Brendon. I'll be back later. I can't take this anymore," Anna shouted from the doorway. "I'm sorry, Anna. I'm sorry. I love you, I really do. Please don't leave me," I begged. "I don't think you are sorry, Brendon. You'll just walk all over me if I stay." I rushed up to her and lightly grabbed her wrist. "You can't keep me here and treat me like I'm nothing, Brendon. I'm going out. Don't wait up for me," she spoke ferociously and spit at me as she slammed the door in my face.

I put a hand over my face and cried, alone in the foyer. My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest as I fell to my knees. I heard a small voice coming from my pocket. I pulled out my phone and saw that somehow I had called Anna's best friend's brother. The two of us had always gotten along at parties but had never really talked outside of that. "H-Hello," I said, saying it more like a question. "Hi, um Brendon. Is everything alright," he asked. "Yeah, I just um- I'm sorry." I tried my best to choke back my tears, but the sadness and desperation overwhelmed my efforts. "Hey, there's no need to be sorry. Where are you right now," he spoke gently. "Dallon, I-I didn't mean to call you. This isn't your problem," I cried in my phone. "You're not a problem. Are you and Anna still together," he asked. "Y-yeah," I answered. "She home?" I felt my chest grow heavy. "No." I heard a quiet sigh on the other end of the call. "Okay, I'll be over in like 15 minutes. You guys still living at the same place on Anderson Boulevard," he asked. "Dallon, pl-please don't worry about it. I'm fine," I lied. "Brendon, I'm coming over. Are you still at the same place?" I let my head lull back against the wall. "Y-yeah." I heard movement in the background of Dallon's end of the call. "I'm on my way," he told me and hung up the call.

In less than fifteen minutes, I heard tires screech into my driveway. I could only hope that it was Dallon. Would this be awkward? Definitely, but I would take awkwardness over nothing. Dallon had always been kind of goofy and dorky, so I had no idea how he'd react in this gloomy atmosphere. Do I tell him that Anna hit me? No, he might tell his sister, who'd confront Anna, who'd kill me. I could just leave Anna before she had the chance to kill me though, but then again, she's had the opportunity multiple times and has stopped  before anything serious happened. My intentions were never to cause her to breakdown and feel the need to defend herself physically. I had never been told that I was abusive before, and I wasn't consciously doing anything differently with Anna. I was a bit more guarded, but that was because I didn't want to upset her with any of my troubles. She felt demeaned when I did that, like it was my way of lessening her struggles because she thought I didn't care. I did care. I cared so much. I loved her so much, and I never meant to hurt her.

Frantic knocks on the front door pulled me from my worries. "It's open," I croaked from my place on the floor. Dallon opened the door and knelt down to my level, but I kept my head down and my eyes fixated on my knees, which were scrunched up to my chest. "Hey, Brendon. Long time no see, huh," he tried to crack a joke, but I just shook my head and felt tears begin to pool in my eyes. "Hey, hey, hey, you're alright. I'm here now. I'm going to fix whatever is making you so sad," Dallon spoke softly, put a hand on one of my shaking shoulders. I leaned into the touch but refused to look up at him. I knew that my eye was bruised from Anna. "It's alright. You're okay," he told me. I felt a lump in my throat. "N-no, I'm not," I told him. He sat next to me against the wall. "What's the matter? I can try to help," he offered, moving his arm to be around my shoulders.