Separation and Storms

I never imagined that we'd be in this situation and neither did Brendon. I went to the store to get flashlights and batteries while he stayed home moving all of our furniture off of our porch. There was a category 4 hurricane predicted to hit our area but no severe damage was expected. Us separating was a terrible idea.

I got a call from Brendon just before I heard a loud clap of thunder. "D-Dallon?" I could hear his voice trembling as he spoke. "Yeah, babe? What's going on?" His breathing was shaky. "I-The-the weatherman just said that we're under tornado watch. W-what's the difference between a watch and a warning," he asked. I felt my heart shatter. He sounded so worried. "I think it means they've spotted one in the area." He started to cry almost immediately. "Aw, baby, I'll be there soon," I told him.

He cried even harder as I said that. "N-no, you don't understand. That means that you can't drive." I stopped walking. "O-oh." I just wanted to be able to hold him and calm him down. "D-Dally?" He only called me 'Dally' when he was really scared or upset. "Yeah, B?" His cries hadn't slowed. "I'm so afraid," he whimpered into the receiver. "Darling, I'm coming home. I don't care what's going on with the weather. Nothing in the sky can keep me from getting to you," I promised. "Dally, please don't do that. I-it's so dangerous." I could hear a loud noise in the background of the call. "Baby, what was that?" I got no answer.

"Brendon," I shouted into my phone. "Brendon, please answer me!" I was met with heavy breathing. "I-it was just a tree falling over b-because of the winds," he sniffled. "Baby, I'm at the register now. I'm not getting off the phone with you, okay?" He hummed in response. "Just keep talking to me, B. Everything is going to be okay."

He continued telling me what the news was saying. Apparently, seven houses had already been destroyed in the next town over. "Dally, what do I do? I-I don't know what to do."

"Where are you right now?"

"I'm in the b-bedroom watching the weather channel."

"Baby, I need you to go into the basement."

"What? Why?"

"Brendon, please just go. Turn on the old TV. Make sure you bring your blanket. It gets cold down there."

"Dally, w-why am I going down there?"

"B, you can't be near any windows. It's dangerous."

"O-oh."

"I'm leaving now. I'll be there soon, okay?"

"Okay. I-I'll hang up because I want you t-to pay attention while you're driving. P-please be careful."

"I will, baby. I love you."

"I love you too, Dallon."

Then, I was met with silence on the other line. I took a deep breath and walked outside into the monsoon. The parking lot was relatively empty and no one was on the roads. I rushed my car, throwing my bag of flashlights and batteries onto the passenger seat. I sent Brendon a text saying that I love him and began to drive.

I could feel the winds pushing against my car. The wheels would skid as I went to turn, but in 30 minutes, I was home, or what used to be home. I got out of the car and saw nothing but piles of debris for miles.

Brendon.

I rushed in through the gaping hole in the side of our house and down the destroyed stairs leading to the basement. "Brendon! Brendon, baby, where are you," I called, tears falling down my face. "Brendon!" I saw his body slumped over the arm of our old couch with a bin of DVDs that must have fallen down from our living room on top of him. "B-Brendon, oh god, baby," I spoke as I ran over to him.

He was unconscious and had a small gash from the center of his forehead, cutting across his eyebrow, and ending at his right ear. The blood was dried, showing that this had probably happened 20 minutes ago. I pulled his limp body onto my lap and held him close. "Please, wake up, Brendon," I whispered, my tears soaking into his already soaked clothes.

"Baby, no," I cried. The telephone lines had been destroyed by the storm, so there was no use in calling for an ambulance. "Brendon, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that I wasn't here with you during the storm, I'm sorry that I haven't been home much lately, and I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I just- I love you so much. Please wake up," I sobbed, hugging him tightly.

After half an hour of worrying in the only in tact part of our house, Brendon's eyes began to flutter open.

"Dally?" I cried even harder. "Where are we," he asked. "W-we're in the basement, Brendon. Are you okay?" He nodded his head but immediately grimaced in pain. "What happened to my head? Why are we in the basement? W-wait, what happened with the storm," he frantically questioned. I pointed at the destroyed ceiling of the basement which used to be our floor boards.

"O-oh," he said through shaky breathing. "I'm so sorry you were here by yourself, baby. I-I just never imagined something like this actually happening," I spoke to him, not making eye contact. Once I looked up at him, I saw the tears in his eyes. "Why're you crying, darling?" He shook his head and tried to hold back the tears that were already flooding down his face.

"Th-the house, it's gone," he cried and buried his face into my chest. "Aw, baby, I know, but it's all going to be okay, alright? Everything is going to be okay," I rubbed his back as I tried to comfort him, but that was all I could do. So that's what I did, day in and day out. I held him close to me as we called our insurance company, after we surveyed the damage to our house and tried to recover items among the wreckage, as we moved what little we had left to a small single bedroom apartment.

About eight months after the storm, Brendon said something to me that made my heart shatter. We were sitting on the mattress in our bare bedroom, and I was rubbing his back. He began sniffling out of nowhere. "Dallon, are our lives ever going to be normal again?" I softly turned him around and looked into his eyes. They were filled with tears that were about to fall. "Brendon, I-" He put a finger to my lips and began sobbing. "I don't want you t-to lie to me," he forced out. I pulled him close and just held him like I had for the past months. "I don't know if we'll ever be back where we were before the storm, but I'll always be here for you," I told him. I had no idea what the future would bring, but I knew that we would make it through everything.
___________________________
A/N
Hello! I know it's been a while since my last actual update, but I've been working on a full length fic and school just started for me. This request was by foblvr . I really appreciate all of the support this book continues to get. You guys never fail to blow me away. I'll try my hardest to post more frequently for all of you. Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting 💚
✌🏼Your Author👌🏼