Don't Wanna Be Alone

Brendon was amazing. He simply was. No one in my friend group saw it, and it seemed that the same went for the rest of the school. Brendon started at my school a few weeks back, and I was immediately drawn to him. I had always been into soft guys, and Brendon was the textbook image of a soft guy. Everything about him seemed so purposeful. His hair was always done up into a perfectly messy mop on his head. It was wispy and looked like the softest thing on the planet. You could tell that his outfits were always planned, too. He'd typically wear an oversized sweater and ill-fitting jeans. Most of his jeans had paint speckled on them or embroidery artfully done all over them. He always paired this with matching crew socks and his black thick-framed glasses. Everything about Brendon was so polished. Well, almost everything. His shoes were atrocious. He seemed to have closets and dressers bursting at the hinges with different pieces of clothing, yet he wore the same pair of beaten up high top Converse every single day. I didn't understand it.

Brendon and I hit it off as soon as we spoke in art class. We hung out on weekends, and I picked him up for 2am milkshakes at Steak N Shake. It felt like our friendship was blossoming into something grand. That was until he met my friends. The moment they laid eyes on the perfect boy, judgement clouded their gazes. Brendon was often quite a personable guy, but around them, he seemed to fold in on himself. They didn't like him, and he didn't like them either. It was astonishing to me that anyone could pick out a flaw in Brendon, but somehow, they managed to find many.

I had plans to go to the arcade and the movies and get high at the park with my friend group that weekend. The weekend was normally my time with Brendon. I knew he wouldn't want to come with us, both because he didn't do drugs and he didn't like my friends. "Bren, come on. You don't even have to smoke. I just want to spend time with you. The weekend is our time," I pleaded with him. "No, D. I don't think it'd be a good idea for me. Your friends don't like me, and if you really want to spend time with me, we can hang out on Sunday," he reasoned.

I felt my heart get caught in my throat. "Bren, can you at least come by my house after they've left?" He scoffed at me. "After you've gotten high and made yourself smell like pot? No thanks, I'll pass on that one." I was speechless. "B, what can I do to make it up to you? I feel horrible," I told him. He just looked at me with a raised brow. "What's there to feel horrible about? You're spending time with your other friends. That's fine," he sighed. "I just- I know that we normally spend the weekend together, but my friend group says that they never see me anymore because I'm always with you, so I was trying to show them that I still care, but I don't want you to be by yourself on a Saturday night when I can prevent it," I explained, hoping he'd see that I'm trying to make everyone happy.

"Listen, Dal. I don't mind if you spend the weekend with someone else. I probably have homework to catch up on anyway. It's not a big deal. I'll just take some me time is all," he said, seemingly genuine, but I sensed that there was a hint of passive aggressiveness in his words. "I still don't understand why you won't just come over to my house after. They're not spending the night." He shook his head in disbelief. "What time would you be getting back to your house," he asked.

The arcade opened at noon, the movie started at 8, and we had like 10 grams of weed with five people smoking, so it'd probably take us a few hours to get through that. "Uh probably around 1am, so it's not even-" I tried to plead my case. "Dallon, how am I supposed to explain that to my parents," he asks. "I don't know. Tell them we're going to get milkshakes or something," I suggested. He still looked unsure. "Hell, I'll pick you up if you want. Maybe I can actually take you to get milkshakes." He sighed. "Dallon, I'm not getting in a car with you when you're stoned," he explained. I didn't know what else to say. I just wanted to make him happy without being an ass to my other friends.

"Look, Dal, I'll spend next weekend with you, okay? I promise that I'm not upset with you," he said. "B, what did we say about promises," I asked softly. He rolled his eyes and went to walk away. "Brendon," I said, as I grabbed onto his shoulder. "We said not to make promises to make each other feel better unless they were true," he recited. "I feel like you're breaking that." He let out a deep sigh. "Okay, fine. I am a little upset with you because I had something planned for this weekend and-and now I'm going to be alone. Are you happy now," he spoke in a rushed fashion.