Breathe

I need to breathe. I just need to take one deep breath and calm down. Everything will be perfectly okay. Just inhale for four seconds and exhale for eight. Inhale for four seconds, exhale for twelve. Inhale for four seconds, exhale for- oh god. No no no, god no this can't be happening.
I bite down on my lip to keep from coughing. Breathe through your nose. Count up to ten and back down. Count up to eight and back down. Count up to- I coughed. I could feel my face heat up and I'm sure everyone was staring at me. I was on a bus. I tried to look down at my feet and hide my flushed face, but I was in an odd position and couldn't shield myself from further judgement. Without even realizing it was coming, I coughed a second time. Everyone is looking right now. They think you're gross and ill. Breathe, Brendon. Breathe. Slow. You can do this. In and out. In and out.
Then, the bus stopped. I looked up slightly as someone sat next to me. "How are you today?" The friendly man said to me. "I- uh I'm fine. Y-yourself?" I stumbled. I fixed my posture and looked at his eyes. Those must be colored contacts. "Decent. Thanks for asking." He replied with a confident air to him. Say something, Brendon. Don't make him want to move away from you. Talk about... uh talk about... his eyes! Talk about his eyes! "You have pretty eyes." I blurted. Oh. My. God. Pretty? Pretty?! Way to screw up your chance of starting a conversation, fuck up. "Thanks. I can't see your eyes, but I bet they are beautiful just like the rest of you." He smiled. His voice was so smooth, and he spoke effortlessly. I blushed at him calling me beautiful. Brendon, you're being stupid. Stop. "Thank you." I mumbled, pushing my hair out of my face, unintentionally giving the stranger in my seat a view of my dull brown eyes. "I was right." He said. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Your eyes are as beautiful as the rest of you." He clarified. "Maybe even more." I found myself grinning. "Your eyes are the prettiest pair I've ever seen." He continued. "I could look into them for hours, but of course I won't because I don't even know your name." I don't know where the confidence came from, but I spoke up. "I'm Brendon Urie." Even though it wasn't a long sentence or a speech, I was still surprised that I had spoken to a stranger without making a fool of myself and calling their eyes 'pretty'. "Well Brendon Urie, I'm Dallon Weekes. It's nice to meet you." He stuck out his hand for me to shake. I shook his hand and noted the soft texture of his smooth skin. What are you doing? You're speaking? You're shaking someone's hand? Who even are you? I'm so proud of you! "I don't suppose you like coffee?" The man looked at me with a confident yet hopeful expression. "I, um yeah." I responded. Is he asking you on a date? "If you're not going anywhere, would you care to join me on a coffee purchasing excursion?" Dallon asked. I made complete eye contact with this absolute stranger of which I only knew his name and his pretty eyes. "A-are you serious?" I inquired in a serious voice with an undertone of disbelief. "Yeah." He smiled and cocked his head to the side adorably. "So, what do ya say? I'll pay." He offered. "I'm not allowing you to pay for me." I stated as I stood up with him at the next stop. "So you're coming?" His smile stretched from ear to ear when I nodded. "Let's go then!" He exclaimed and grabbed my hand, then dragged me off the bus.
Brendon, what are you doing? You're going to get coffee with a complete stranger. Turn around. Don't give him the upper hand! Oh, but he's so pretty. That was the only thought I actually paid attention to.
We walked down the street with him still holding my hand. Once we got to the café, his hand left mine and he held the door open, placing his hand on my upper back to give me a nudge inside. I pouted a bit at the loss of comforting contact but the expression on my face soon turned into a large smile. He had taken me to a small coffee shop downtown. I saw his confident facade falter as I stayed by the door. "Are you uh are you coming in?" He winced. I looked up at the taller man and smiled as I took his hand.
"Okay, do you know what you want to order?" He responded. I looked at the extensive menu and began panicking. What do I get? If I get something bland, I'll seem boring, but if I get something too exotic or expensive, I'll seem like I'm trying too hard. "Brendon, you ready?" He asked. We were up at the counter, ready to order. I looked at him with nervous expression. "I um- y'know, I'm fine. Yeah, I'll just go uh wait uh over there." I said, pointing at the lonely table in the corner. He looked at me as if contemplating what to do.
I hung my head and walked over to the table. "Hey, I'm not that thirsty either. Let's go over there together." He smiled encouragingly. "Sorry, I'm ruining this whole thing. I'll uh I'll go." I nervously chuckled and turned towards the door. "No no no, you're not ruining it." He insisted. "Who needs coffee anyways?" He led me over to the table in the corner. "I'm sor-" I began. "It's fine. You didn't do anything wrong." He corrected. I look at my hands which were clasped together in my lap. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Up to ten, down to one. Up to eight, down to one. Up to six, down to one. Up to four, down to... down to... down to what? What comes next? Breathe. Up to four down to... shit. "Hey, are you doing alright?" Dallon tapped my shin with the tip of his toe, lightly. "I, um yeah." I managed to act calm. "Hah, that's the same thing you said when I asked if you like coffee." He laughed. "Are you sure you don't want anything? I'm going to get a hot tea." He offered. "I'm fine." I assured. He began to walk to the counter. "Actually, could I get a hot chocolate?" I meekly spoke up. "Of course." He smiled.
I saw him waiting in line. The customer at the counter was taking forever. She said she had 'exact change' which basically meant she was digging in her purse for coins. Dallon looked over and rolled his eyes with a goofy grin. I laughed. Once he'd ordered and received out drinks, he sat back down across from me.
"Y'know what's funny?" He asked rhetorically. "What's funny?" I questioned. "We were order number seven." He smirked. "And..." I ushered on. "Well you see, seven is quite a vicious number. You see, seven ate/eight nine." He explained. I looked at him with an expression of disbelief. "How lame were you trying to be?" I giggled. He looked at me affectionately as we calmed down from laughing at the dumb joke. "Hey, um Brendon?" He asked. "Dallon?" I countered. He scooted his chair over to me hesitantly. "You have um, something on your cheek." He stated. I attempted to brush whatever it was off my face. "No, let me get it." He brought his hand up to my face and let his thumb move softly across my cheek. "I think I-" He cut himself off by attaching our lips. I melted into the short kiss. I laid my arms behind his neck, and he rested his forehead on mine. "Was that okay?" He whispered. My smile was almost hurting my face at this point, it was so wide. "Yeah." I blushed. "I guess it's a good thing you chose a table in the back." He looked at me with that goofy lopsided grin. "I guess so." I lightly chuckled. "You taste like hot chocolate." He added. "You taste like tea." I giggled. Our foreheads were still touching, and we continued to whisper. "I don't suppose you'd want to find out what kind of tea?" He smirked, trying not to laugh. I giggled and nodded my head. "You're quite adorable y'know." He told me before giving me a peck on my smiling lips. "So are-" Another quick kiss. "So are y-" I tried again, but he cut me off with a kiss. "So are y-" I giggled and lightly pushed him away. "So are you." I finally got out. "You ready to find out what type of tea that was?" He questioned, gesturing towards his empty cup. "Definitely." I leaned in and connected our lips once again. "Black tea?" I mumbled against his mouth. He shook his head. "Chai tea?" "No." He laughed as we didn't break away from the kiss. "You shit, is it black chai?" I muttered. "Mmhmm." He hummed. I laughed and pulled away from our five minute long kiss.
He kissed my forehead. "I usually hate busses." I stated. "But this time I'm glad my car broke down." I put my head on his shoulder and sighed. "I need to pick up my car up at the mechanic because I got my oil changed. Would you like a ride home in a freshly oiled car?" Dallon asked. "Of course." I replied.
We stood up and threw away our empty cups. I coughed slightly and didn't wince. I was comfortable. I didn't care if people were staring. I tapped Dallon on the shoulder and stood on my tiptoes to quickly peck his lips. He smiled. People were staring, but for the first time, I didn't have to remind myself to breathe. I just contently sighed and fell back into my newly claimed place beside Dallon. Hopefully, I could stay there awhile.