haircuts

this was requested by myownprivatephoenix !! thank you for the request & i hope you like it <33

River was known for his blonde hair. ever since he got a buzzcut for stand by me when he was younger, he decided from then on to grow his hair out a bit. when jimmy reardon, little nikita & running on empty cane out he was rocking the "long but not long" hair which you loved so much. but he continued to grow it even longer around the time of i love you to death cane he had long hair.

his hair became a part of him & you were pretty attached to it too. so when his agent told him he would need to cut his hair short for a new role in the movie 'dog fight', river was upset & nervous. he went to the hairdresser every month for trims, that he was used to. but he wasn't used to drastically changing his hair.

he came home that day from his meeting about the new movie bummed out, which led you to sitting on your bed with him, rubbing your fingers through his hair while you still could.

"i really don't wanna cut it y/n..." he mumbled out.

"i know riv, i know. but it'll grow back right? look on the bright side" you said, trying to get his morale up.

"i guess. i'm gonna miss it though" he took his head off your lap & looked up at you with a pout on his lips & puppy dog eyes.

"your gonna be fine honey, promise. it's gonna grow back. plus, short haired river will make a comeback!" you said enthusiastically, making him chuckle at you.

"thanks angel"

•          ~          •

The day soon arrived, the haircut day. river asked you to come with him because "it'll be a funeral... for my hair". you went along with it & went in the car with him to the filming studio to see some of the stylists to talk about the hair he will need for the role. since he will be playing a marine, his hair was gonna be pretty short because his character is in the military.

he sat down i one of the chairs & looked in the mirror as the hairdresser behind him grabbed scissors & clippers. river looked at you & held out his hand for you to hold, which made you laugh slightly & your heart warm at how he was acting. so you took his hand & sat beside him, trying to distract him by talking or making jokes.

"ya know, it doesn't look so bad" you said looking at his now short hair.

he wasn't facing the mirror anymore, so he doesn't know what he looks like.

"you sure about that?" he asked, a bit nervous.

"i'm sure. you do look like someone in the marines i must say" he just smiled a bit at your comment & gave your hand a squeeze.

"ready to see the new you?" the hairdresser asked him, waiting for spin the chair for him to see.

"y-yeah" & he turned around & stared at his reflection.

you waited for him to say something but he got out of the chair & moved closer to the mirror to look at it closer.

"it's short" he said, trying to run his fingers through it but it was pretty hard to.

"but how do you think it looks?" you asked as you got up & stood beside him, ruffling the short hairs a bit.

"it... it looks okay" he said with a small smile, looking at you.

"i agree" you smiled back at him & gave him a kiss on the cheek.

he blushed a bit & slung an arm around you, pulling you close.