chapter 23

I stood on the stairs where I could capture pictures from a height above the glass walls. Molly was with me rocking Baylor in her arms. He seemed tired today. I looked over to Baylor and made a funny face. He stopped fighting his mom's hold and gave me a blank stare before smiling. I let out a giggle and pulled his shirt down a bit to cover his tummy. Molly sighed as he began looking around at everyone. Some of the fans were looking at us and grumbling because we were in their way, but really how else am I to get these neat pictures? If the team scores and celebrates the fans will be in the front of the picture cheering while in the back, blurred but noticeable the team will be on the ice celebrating.

I thought it was a great idea. I apologized to the fans behind us and made sure to flash my team jacket. I looked back to the ice to see Griffin getting a breakaway moment. I held in my breath as he worked his way around the left-wing who gave the puck up and felt something in my stomach churn as Griffin skated on one foot then the other. A little jump that seemed to propel him faster. The puck jutted up over the defenders stick, causing the defender to have to backtrack. When Griffin got in front of the goal he skated on by and tapped the put in from a back angle. The buzzer went off and the fans cheered but I felt my camera slip from my hands.

"Wow Baylor, look at what uncle Griffin did," Molly pointed up to the replay screen and I watched again as Griffin did the move.

"Griffin it's easy here." Damon said, making sure my stick and myself stayed put on the ice. Damon skated over to Griffin and told him to do it. I stayed put as Griffin re-adjusted his helmet and did the move one last time. It's well past midnight and I know that our parents are going to kill us all for trying to perfect this move. The DG move as they desired. Griffin skated past me with determination on his face. The puck jutted up over my stick and Griffin regained control and skated past the goal before quickly hitting the puck backwards and into the top corner of the goal.

"YES!" He cheered out slapping Damon on the back. He made his way over to me. I raised my eyebrow at him and he leaned in to kiss me. I smiled at the soft way he left his trace on my lips. "How'd I do, lovey?"

"Zoey? Hello Earth to Zoey? Did you even get the picture?" I looked to Molly and then back down to the bench. Griffin was back on the bench laughing at Eddie. Felix nudged Griffin who fixed his helmet before pouring some gatorade into his mouth. Instead of Felix or Eddie I imagined Damon. I used to sit directly behind the bench for each game. I remember how Damon would nudge Griffin after a play and Griffin do the same.

"Oh my god, Molly." I turned to her and grabbed her hand making my way down the stairs and into the locker room. The security guard looked at Molly and Baylor with confusion before recognizing me. He let us right in. I can't breathe.

"Zoey? What is going on? The game-"

"Get Maria. Please." I sat on the floor trying to collect my thoughts. "I need Maria." Molly's eyes widened and she pulled out her phone instantly calling Maria. I squeezed my eyes shut trying to find a way to breathe.

"Lovey!" Griffing called out. I knew that voice by heart. Only one person called me that. I ran around my backyard to the front to see him talking to my dad and Damon. His back to me. His baseball cap is on backwards, sporting the University of Denver Hockey team. I ran up behind him and latched myself onto his back giggling. He let out a chuckle and his hands moved to support me clinging to his back. I kissed his cheek.

"I'm here and ready for our anniversary date!" Griffin chuckled and said goodbye to my dad and Damon. I let him carry me to his car and I giggled when he opened the door for me. I slid off his back and brought his lips to mine. "I've missed you Griff." He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and grinned down at me.