chapter 10

Since I have so much film, Henry gave me the practice day off. My mom has been begging to come up, so today she is here. Baking with Maria in the kitchen, while I sit on the barstool editing pictures.

"Hunny, you want a piece of pie while you edit?" I looked up from the picture I'm creating and to my mom. She is smiling wide at me with the pie knife in her hand.

"Sure mom," I gave her a soft smile and looked back to my picture. I am trying to do an edit for tomorrow's promotional puck drop post. I have Frederick's game stance at the middle of the top, Flynn at the top left corner from the slapshot picture I took in the last game. Eddie is on the bottom left corner game face on. Sampson, a defender, is on the top right corner, and Felix is on the bottom right handling the puck. Lastly, Griffin is on the bottom middle, smiling wide with his perfect goofy grin.

"That's a great picture, hunny." My mom set the pie on the tabletop beside my laptop and notes and I looked at her.

"Thanks, I have to add some text, it's for tomorrow's game." She nodded and looked back to it. Her eyes lingering for a few more moments before looking up to Maria.

As I ate the pie, my mom and Maria had a pointed conversation by the oven. Once I was done with the pie, the questions about random stories, my life, my job, movies, and shows I've seen were rapid-fire from my mom. I gave her a look after some time and she sighed.

"I just miss you," I looked to my mom from my laptop as she spoke the words. I've barely edited three promo photos. Her being here is making me slack. But I understand where she is coming from.

"Mom, I miss you too. But, I think I need to head to the arena. The team still has an hour and a half of practice and I need to talk to coach about the travel we have coming up." Her face dropped a moment before she nodded.

"Yes, you should go. I need to get back and help your dad with dinner. He's clueless on lasagna." I gave her a laugh as I saved my progress and shut my laptop.

"Come here, mom." I wrapped my arms around her to give her a hug. As my mom finished up baking and cleaning, I picked up a travel bag to bring to the arena. I wished my mom well and told Maria I would see her later as I walked out of the apartment.

I drove to the arena and I began thinking of Griffin. The other day at Mattey's dad's restaurant, the way Griffin looked at me shifted something. His brown hair is on the longer side, flopping gently over his forehead, thick and dreamy looking. And his golden-brown eyes sparkled when they looked at me. I don't know what to think of him. What to make of him.

When I got to the arena I made my way to the seats towards the top. I pulled out my laptop and began working again. I heard coach yell out and looked up to see Eddie and Griffin on the ice. Both of them laughed while coach shook his head before throwing a glove at them and telling them to get their asses up and moving.

I let a smile rise to my lips and I pulled out my laptop clicking through my pictures. I've seen other leagues do these wallpaper days. Give the fans a fun edited picture for their phones, laptops, pictures to print, and more. I picked up my pad of paper and a pencil and began sketching out ideas. If I got some great shots of the guys handling the puck, victory fist pumps, or victory hooray's these wallpapers will come out great.

I spent some time editing the photos with team colors and background images that highlight the players. When I got to one for Griffin I paused over the picture. He had just made a goal and had his goofy grin plastered on his face. His cheeks are rosy from the speed of the game and some of his hair visibly sticking to his forehead from the sweat. He looks heart-stopping. I looked up to the ice and saw the team is done with practice. Griffin took off his helmet, as well as Eddie. Griffin laughed at something Felix said, pushing him on the ice. Eddie looked up and caught me staring. He gave me a grin and waved to me. I shyly waved back and he held up both his palms stating he would be up here in 10 minutes. I saw both Griffing and Felix look up here. Felix with a smile and Griffin with this distant look. I gave him a small smile and he let a small smile slip onto his face as well.