chapter 3

Mr. McCormick has a pretty clean and barren office. There isn't much to it. Just a desk, a few chairs, some books and papers scattered about the shelves and a singular picture. His office overlooks the ice rink from the top of the arena. The ice looks so peaceful right now with half the lights on and the clean-cut of it.

"Ah, Ms. Zoey. Thank you for coming today." I turned around and shook his outstretched hand. "I see you are enjoying the view." I nodded and looked back to him as he shuffled some papers on his desk.

Last night I was able to finish up the pee-wee pictures I took from the game and managed to send those to the coach's wife. I found one picture of Henry's grandson and printed it out for him. I pulled it out of my purse and walked back to Henry.

"Oh, what is this?" I showed the picture of his grandson shooting into the goal and saw the light smile play at his lips. "What a picture. This is a great shot, Zoey." He stared at it for a few more seconds before he looked at me. "Thank you. Now please take a seat."

We went over the contract and all the responsibilities I had. It wasn't bad, but it surely is more than I am used to. I had faith I could do it. Not only will I be doing a team media day, but pictures during all the game days, taking traveling pictures, maybe starting up a project of my own if I see fit.

Henry and I worked over a few contracts and legal pieces before I signed the contract. It's just for a year so in case anything happens we could either re-sign or move on. I could tell from the way that he looks at me and had welcomed me so warmly to the team that he wouldn't want to see me go anywhere. But business is business at the end of the day.

We chatted for some time before he told me we would go on a tour. He said this arena has a lot of history in it. We started at his office, the only thing on this floor, and made our way down to the next floor. All the suites for mostly the rich and those who have a lot of friends and family attending. He said that with the suite price you can get a party box. There were three options they could choose from. Then it was the "club" section. The part of the arena where there is more space between the seats and the hallways had premium food courts and alcohol. The main seating had one general food distributor and alcohol. The team shop was on the outside of the arena, attached, but only accessible from the outside.

He said during games that they had a few carts on each floor with the main jerseys and some hats. The arena does have a lot of history. The walls are decorated with memorabilia, famous dates in history, famous players, the arena's construction over time, fan art and more.

The Nordiques have quite the arena here. Henry and I made our way to his favorite seat. Right beside the penalty box. He said that so many people put their hands and mouths on the glass that it's something they clean after every game. I mean I would think they would, but maybe that's not how the NHL does it.

He sat and told me the first month or so regarding games and what to expect. Since it is the beginning of the season/year, there is more to do regarding promo than there will be. If we end up in the playoffs he said that there would be some sort of bonus since it goes beyond our contract. And there would be more pictures to take.

Our final destination is the locker room. He said that sometimes you can get the best shots before and after the periods from standing outside of the room. The stench of the room is the classic hockey sweat that just seems to seep into the walls and flooring of a hockey arena. It's inevitable that a hockey arena would smell any different.

I met the head coach Alex Russell as we walked into the locker room. It's big. Mr. Russell looked at me in shock and then to Henry before taking my hand in his. "Nice to meet you Zoey. Hope you are finding this place to become your new home. I've heard great things about you.. your pictures." He seemed to be covering his tracks and he fidgeted with his ball cap. "I can't wait to see you interact with the team. They are quite the bunch. Good men though. Good men." He went quiet for a minute as I looked around. I heard some movement and could tell that Henry and Mr. Russell were having a quiet chat.

"Don't worry, Alex. This will be good." I turned back to them and smiled.

"So, you said I am beginning to take pictures tomorrow at practice?" Henry nodded at my question and looked to Mr. Russell.

"Yes, I am sure that Alex can get you a schedule that the team follows. When they are practicing or doing any sort of work- whether it be in the community or elsewhere, I would like you there." I nodded and Henry said goodbye for now.

"Right this way Zoey. I'll get you a schedule real quick. I have a few players coming in for a check-in with the trainer." He said that as if he didn't want me to meet them quite yet. Or that he was worried something would happen. I followed him as he quickly went into his office and pulled out a packet schedule from a binder. I gratefully took it and thanked him.

"Mr. Russell I hope not to bother you in anything, but if I do end up needing some direction is it okay to ask you a few questions?" He looked at me a moment before nodding.

"Of course. Yes, anything you think you need regarding your job or the team just let me know."

"Yo coach!" I heard someone yell out. I followed Mr. Russel from his office to the locker room and smiled at the two men in there. One stood completely frozen with his light brown hair and chocolate eyes, while the other one with brown hair and hazel eyes smiled at me. "And who might you be? I'm Felix King, number two on the team. Right Wing." I gave him a smile in return and shook his hand.

"Zoey Miller, I'm the new photographer."

"Very nice to meet you Zoey." I looked to the frozen man beside him and my eyebrows knitted together.

"Are you okay-" Felix slapped him in the back of the head and the man looked from me to Felix. He looked back to me and I smiled, "I'm Zoey, team photographer. Nice to meet you..." I trailed off and I stuck my hand out for him to shake. He's acting so odd. He finally took my hand in his and I felt a sense of warmth overcome me.

"Griffin Hodgkins. Number nine and center." He pulled his hand away and looked at me in awe a bit more. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable so I looked to Mr. Russell behind me who was looking directly at Griffin.

"I should get going. I still need to go look for a place. It was nice to meet you all." I made my way out the locker room, feeling Griffin's stare on my back as I walked out.