Chapter 26- The Past

Start from the beginning

"They showed us charts full of problems. Sexual assault, malnourishment, dehydration, internal bleeding, fractured bones, lungs, ribs. The whole sort and...another thing. I'm still surprised I'm not dead." I looked back at the horizon.
"For once I felt.. free for a while. But still had the fear of them coming back. After a few days, Alex and I were separated. I was taken to one foster care home and she was taken to another. For a few days, the policemen would come in to see me. They would try to ask questions but I never said anything. I would just stare at a wall, as the sounds of guns, knives and punches echoed throughout my mind. I asked them about Alex, they told me she got adopted. I felt happy, thinking she was safe. But" I laughed as I leaned my forehead on my hands.

"I was wrong, they took her. Again. After a few months, I got adopted too. They would teach me English, how to read, write, draw and more. But I never communicated, what was the point, I would hit, that's all I knew. Then it happened. A few weeks after my first adoption, they took me to a house. It looked familiar, and that's because it was. They were taking me back to the tormentors. They opened the doors and I was met with their smirking faces. They all yelled out a big 'welcome back' and I was shoved in, I turned round and saw the people walk away, into the car and drove off. 5 seconds later, I was punched, hard, in the skull. I got knocked out." Ace took a cautious step forward and I nodded, he hugged me from the side and I ran my thumb on his bicep.

"I woke up, and saw Alex sitting next to me, chained to the wall and knocked out. I tried to reach her, but I was restricted too." I shrugged.
"They came in with the whips, whipped Alex awake and started playing their favourite game. All the girls were chained in a circle and they played duck duck goose. But they called it whip whip bleed. This went in for months." My voice cracked.
"Months of the same torture and pain when the adoptive people came back. Saying how they were gonna return me to the foster home so a new family could come to take me for a year to be tortured again. So, I was returned, but the people were arrested for drug possession and abuse.

"Another month and I was adopted again. Was taken to their house to learn, I would hit others and was taken to the house once more. But this time, I tried to escape. I slowly took off my seatbelt and opened the door as the car was moving and flung myself out. But the kids noticed." I spat out in anger as I snuggled closer.
"The car stopped and the dad came out, pulled me up by my hair and shoved me back to the seat, locking the doors this time.

"When we got there, the leader was informed of my attempted escape and they strapped me to a chair. Shocked me with electricity and restrained me as they killed Alex." I sobbed hard.
"They shoved the knife into her v*gina and swerved it up and out the stomach. Her screams still pierce my mind to this day. Their laughs still echo through my mind." I opened my mouth to curse but the words were caught in my throat. I felt like I was suffocating. I let go and gripped my hair hard. Smacking my head hard to get rid of the memories.
"It's all my fault. If I never tried to escape then she wouldn't have died. I let her die. It was all my fault." I kept punching my head and Ace tried to grab my hands.

"Hey hey no, shhh Little Bri. It was never your fault. It never was and never is." He hugged me and protected my head from my hands.
"What happened? Let it out." I sobbed at his question.

"The cycle happened once more before my fourth adoption. These were different. They lived further away and were more willing I guess. Taught me everything, every day. That it, until a few months ago when they abandoned me at central London. Where I found Xavier." At the last part, I couldn't help the smile from escaping as I remembered how my life turned around in just a mere few months.

I tilted my head back to stare at him with my smile. He looked down at my lips at back up to my eyes as he smiled himself.
"I'm more.. happy. Free. I have a feeling of security now that I have found my father." I couldn't help the little giggle as I had the thought.
"That's amazing baby. I don't know what you're going through. Nor will I ever understand the pain, but I'm here for you whenever you need me, ok?" He gripped my shoulder and I nodded kissing his cheek.