Chosen - Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

"I'm an assassin, Cassius. Secrecy is my life," I muttered.

The young maid stood across the room, her head bowed, quaking in her shoes. Cassius waved his heavily jeweled hand at her. "Allow her in."

My mother stormed in like a hurricane blowing in off the coast of a tropical island. I leaned against Cassius's chair and watched as she stood, mouth agape, stuttering for words.

"This is most unsatisfactory!"

"What is wrong, Madame?"

"I assumed there would be others to chaperone this breakfast. Only to find you alone with my young, unmarried daughter!"

"Nothing occurred aside from breakfast, Madame," Cassius mumbled, shoving a sausage in his mouth.

"I demand that you marry my daughter! You have ruined her reputation!" my mother shrieked at the top of her lungs.

Oh, for the love of all things.

"The only reputation being ruined is yours, mother. Stop carrying on."

"You brazen hussy!" She raised her arm and brought her hand down hard on my cheek.

I winced grabbed at the spot that throbbed slightly.

"That is quite enough, Madame. You may take your leave." With the flick of his wrist, my mother was escorted out of the chamber. We were left alone once more.

"What I would do to have that kind of power," I grumbled, rubbing my face.

"Are you alright?" he asked, standing.

I held my hand up and nodded. "It's alright. She doesn't have much power behind her. I was just caught off guard."

"She can be an irritating woman. It's a shame I have to put up with her in order to have you around." He tusked and shook his head at the sad, desperate woman.

"She really wants me to marry you."

"What would be so wrong with that?" He looked over at me with a wink.

"Rules are rules."

"Rules are changed all the time you know. I know. I do it."

"Cassius, their rules are not changed. I don't fear the rule so much as the consequence. I should not fear death, and I don't, I just don't want to meet the angel of death if I don't have to."

"I have guards," he said with a shrug.

He stood and walked toward one of the windows nearest him, gazing out over the opulence of his gardens.

"That's why you have me, remember. That's why I was sent away when I was a child. I was chosen for this purpose. To be your assassin. There are so many other noblewomen in the world who are worthy to be your queen."

"I don't want them. They all have ulterior motives. Everyone does."

"Oh, I don't think..."

He turned toward me, eyes piercing like two daggers. "They do. Trust me. I know. Everyone wants something from me, not for me. Nobody truly has my best interest at heart. I haven't felt true friendship and caring until I am in your presence. You seem to be the only one in this entire bloody world who really cares for me as Cassius and not me as King Cassius."

I sighed heavily and walked toward him. "I'm always going to care for you, Cassius. We were friends first."

"Even if you will never break your oath and be my queen, I'm glad you're here. I trust no one more than you."

"I better get started."

He nodded and I left without another word. I put my forehead against the cool wood of his door, smiling to myself. As much as it had been drilled into my head since I was a child that assassins did not marry their kings, I could not help wishing I could.

"Joselyn!" a shrill voice yelled from down the hall.

"Really?" I sighed heavily and turned toward the voice. "Mother."

"What do you think you are doing?"

"I'm returning to my own chambers, mother."

"What did you do?" She pestered.

"I had breakfast with the king as you instructed."

"Alone though? What if someone were to find out?" she asked.

"So, what if they were to find out? My reputation is intact. I really would like to have some peace, please."

"You overstep yourself, daughter."

"Mother, please, I have a headache and I am tired. I wish to retire to my chambers for just a bit."

"I will fetch you in three hours' time." She turned on her heels and stormed away.

"Oh, for the love of all things." I continued to my own rooms. I had many plans to make and not much time.

I dug through the trunk, running my hands over all the weapons.

Which do I use? I suppose it would help if I knew where I was going and who I was looking for.

I sat polishing and sharpening my weapons for three hours until my mother called for me, just as she promised. I tucked everything away and followed like a defeated puppy.

"Lady Anne?"

"Your majesty." We turned to see Cassius walking briskly toward us. We dipped into curtsies and waited for him to approach.

"I will be traveling north to the estates of the Duke Andrew de Le Mare and I want your daughter to accompany me as well as your husband. There will be a great accompaniment of people, so she will not be in jeopardy of losing any opportunity of marrying a well-off man."

"Majesty?" My mother looked at him confused.

"My household and I are traveling. I am taking your daughter and your husband. You are to remain here until we return."

"Sire, I'm sorry but this is quite extraordinary," she said. "An unmarried lady accompanying an unmarried man."

"Yes. That may be so, but it is what I command. I want Lady Joselyn to accompany me."

"Of course, your majesty." My mother didn't dare disobey what the king ordered. His will was law.

He turned and walked away as briskly. We didn't have time to curtsy or argue against his odd request. My mother side-eyed me. I simply shrugged.

Well, that takes care of the who, I suppose and excuse getting there. If King Cassius suspects the Duke, it probably is the Duke. Or he knows something he's not revealing. Why would a king keep anything from his assassin though?