Good News?

Brie’s P.O.V

In attempt to calm Kimberly down my parents made her stay over at our house. Their way of thinking was simple; they felt that if she was around people that her pain of Sheldon’s death might ease. I knew, as much as Kimberly, that it would take a lot more than human company to ease the pain of losing someone you like.

Currently, Kimberly was sprawled out on my bed. The look on her face was plain … spiritless too say the least. My heart ached a tad as I stared at her. Mentally, I was counting down to the moment when she would snap back into a teary fit.

A soft, barely audible knock sounded from my doorway. Glancing over my shoulder I saw my mom. She gave a smile and lifted her arms up, showcasing two mini carts of ice cream. Immediately, I leaped off my desk chair that I’d been sitting in, and dashed over to my mother.

“Please tell me those are Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey ice cream!” My voice leaked with excitement.

Mother allowed her eye to roll back, “Yes Brie, I got the two of you Chunky Monkey ice cream.” She handed me the two cartons and a pair of spoons.

“Thank you!” I exclaimed as I suddenly embraced her in a hug.

She gave off a light giggle before I released her. “No problem, just try not to go into a sugar coma.”

“It’s just ice cream, Mom.”

“I wish it was just ice cream ... Your father is now making brownies and some chocolate covered strawberries. He is in the kitchen making a huge mess. I tried to stop him, but he said two of his favorite girls are upset, and he knows chocolate makes the world turn around for most women, like yourselves.”

I laughed for my father can be a hoot some times. After I sobered up from my laughter I glanced over my shoulder at Kimberly. “I don’t think any amount of chocolate in the world will correct how she feels.”

Mom gave Kimberly a look of pity, “I know...,” she muttered before leaving the room.

Walking over to Kimberly, I allowed my lips to twitch up into a light smile.

Her gloomy brown eyes looked up at me.

“I’ve got ice cream!” I stated as I shook the cartons.

Kimberly sat up and gasped the cold container of ice cream as soon as it was in reach. Sitting down next to her, we both opened the ice cream and began to dig in.

It wasn’t until we were almost done that Kimberly sighed, “I didn’t love him..."

My head snapped in her direction, “Huh?”

Her eyes avoid me, as she continued, “Sheldon ... I didn’t love him. I think that is what hurts the most. I should have ... should have loved him,” she mumbled as her eyes clouded over.

I placed my carton down on my nightstand and studied her for a second. “Why do you feel like you should have loved him? You can’t control who you do and do not love.”

She nibbled on her bottom lip for a few minutes before talking again. “I dated him behind everyone’s back ... I refused Elliot, and got into a huge fight with you, for what? For nothing!”

I gripped Kimberly’s arm the second she started to rant in anger. “It wasn’t for nothing! I am more than sure that you might have not loved him, but you liked him.”

“But I told him that I loved him! I lied! So he died thinking that I loved him!” Kimberly exploded with rage.

“...Your dead set on the fact that you didn’t love him ... but if you didn’t love him in some way, why are you crying over him? Why are you so upset?”

“...I don’t know...” she whispered before she started to weep.

“Brownies are ready!” My father’s voice sounded from a few rooms over.

Kimberly gave me a bemused expression “Brownies?” A small, but noticeable light shined in her eyes.

Giving a chuckle, I grabbed her hand, “Come on!”

Before we even walked into the kitchen the waffling smell of baked brownies invaded our nostrils. “What took you two so long to get here?!” My dad asked as he pulled out a package of cookie dough from the refrigerator.

Looking around the kitchen I saw that there was a whole slew of mess. Smiling, I pulled Kimberly more into the kitchen and led us to the counter by the stove. A silver pan sat in the middle of the marble counter. It was steaming, and smelled of pure heaven.

“Bwonies!” Penny bellowed as she came racing into the kitchen with Chase hot on her tail.

“Penny! Chase! Slow down!” A deep voice sounded from the hallway.

My heart skipped a few beat, and my stomach twisted in heart wrenching pain.

Colby strolled in the kitchen; with the same unemotional look that he’d been sporting for the past six weeks ... His eyes didn’t even spare me a glance as he gazed over at Kimberly. Colby gave her a short wave as he acknowledged her presence. All too soon, his blue eyes flickered over in my direction. Without smiling, waving, or saying hi, he looked away.

I ended up forcing myself to gaze away. Looking over at Kimberly I saw she was examining Colby and I intently. Suddenly I saw wheels turning in her brain. “What are you thinking about?” I asked her.

An evil smile crossed her face, and for a split second I saw she was no longer in pain of losing Sheldon, but instead thinking hard about something else. “Nothing,” she replied.

“I am not stupid. So, what are you plan-”

“OM to the G-G!!!” My mother’s voice permeated throughout the kitchen as she came stumbling in.

“What is it?” Dad asked as he placed the cookies in the oven and set the timer.

“I just got a call from Child Services!”

My dad walked over to the counter and pulled out a knife from the drawer and started to cut the dish of brownies. “Oh yeah, what did they say?”

Everyone looked at my mom, who was smiling from ear to ear, “They’ve approved of Penny, Chase and Colby staying here!” The excitement in her eyes brought a smile to everyone in the room.

“I told you they would,” my dad replied and then handed her a plate with a single sliced brownie on it.

She eagerly took it and gave a small dance in the middle of the kitchen. “Oh! I’m just so happy!” My mom cheered.

Penny walked over to mom, “Does this mean I’m staying here forever?!”

Mother placed her untouched plate on the counter and bent down to Penny’s level, “Yes, forever and ever!”

The little girl wrapped her hands around my mom’s neck, “Good!”

 <><><><><><><><><><><>

Edited by: VICTORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @pcgeeksquadgirl