9

BANG! BANG! BANG!

BANG! BANG! BANG!

A series of gun shots followed after that, the sounds of the bullets piercing through the air echoed throughout the area. Screams of panic took over the sound of Showkey and you could see a stampede of youths fleeing in all directions. What had happened hadn't fully registered to me until Vanni grabbed my hand and pulled me to his car that was parked a few paces from us. The jerk chicken and rice and peas that I had got from the food truck fell out of my hands in the middle of the havoc and scattered all over the pavement.

Giovanni didn't waste any time and pulled out of the street quickly, "Samaria, where you at? I'll come pick you up now." His tires shrieked as he made another turn. "Aight, call ma and papa to let them know you're safe later though." Hearing him on the phone with his sister snapped me out of my daze. My little brother, Lisa, Vicky, Nic and Isa were there too, I had to call to make sure they were okay.

For around twenty minutes the car was just filled with the sound of our voices as we called our people to make sure they were safe. "You good?" Vanni asked as soon as I was done with my last call. Everything was just so crazy. What was going on? What had just happened? A shoot out, at a block party in England?

"Mhm, you?" I was still shaking. Why the flip am I hearing gun shots in London. This isn't America!

"I mean..." I notice a rip in his tracksuit by his waist. A purplish stain started to grow in that area. My heart plunged, he didn't get shot did he?! He was driving so calmly as if he wasn't bleeding from his waist. I see him for the first time in a month and he gets hurt. Great, "I think I got caught by a stray bullet..."

"Hospital now, Giovanni." I look at him seriously, he turned to me and smiled as if all was well. It wouldn't be good to attack and injured person right? Why was this guy provoking me then?

"I'm good." His left hand left the wheel to caress the injured area, "It's just a scratch. Nothing that can't be fixed." It was one of them ones where you have to convince yourself that murder was a sin and list out every reason why it's not worth it to yourself. You get me?

He sighed looking at my pissed off expression, "I promise, it really is a scratch. Come, you can touch it." He grabbed my hand and pulled it closer to his wound, I quickly retracted my hand because ew, "Help me fix it up?" He laughed, I nodded unwillingly. At the very least, it would make me feel better if I was there.

We sat in silence until we pulled up in front of his house. I remember telling him how the only reason I'd come here was to see Luca, his little brother. Look how the situation had changed. He unlocked the door and let us in, the house was set up in a contemporary style with neutral tones such as white and black, nonetheless it still held a homely feel to it. He led me through the living room which had a massive black and white photo of the family, his mother was a striking beauty, as in the definition of black don't crack. She had long black relaxed hair, sharp features and dark skin. She looked like a model. His dad however did not look black, although I could see the resemblance between him and Giovanni. He had tanned skin and salt and peppered wavy hair. I knew Giovanni was mixed even though he was dark skin, he said it was something to do with both his dads side of the family being rich in melanin.