that girl, Jenny

Despite all the thoughts he had that night; Jim slept well into the morning and was only awakened by his aunt Joy.                                                                                                                                   "Jim dear...rise and shine...you have school today you'll be late..." she said from the  other end of the other end of the door.  

"Good morning mom" Jim's mind slipped again and he thus replied but again, the fact  that it was an error did not stop Joy from relishing it-being called mother, the great  feeling she had never had.  "Good morning dear....what would you like to have for breakfast?!"  

"Umm...bread...eggs. Bread or eggs"  

"Which is it dear; I didn't quite get you..."  

"I don't know Joy, I've never really chosen my breakfast"  

"Oh! What does Abigail usually prepare?!"  

"Sometimes eggs...others bread...I don't know, I've never paid much attention"  

"That's alright dear....but hurry up, I don't want you to be late"  

"I'll be quick...I don't want me to be late either"                                                                                                    In a couple of minutes, Jim was done preparing and dressing up for school. He went  down to join the others at the table.  

"Good morning everyone...Mr.Quentin" he greeted them all and they all replied with  'good morning Jim' or something close to that.  

"Hey!!...how come I'm the one who gets the Mister?!" Quentin.  

"Sorry Uncle Kwe...it won't happen again" Jim played along.  

"It better not...you know I'm driving you to school"  

"No. you're not!!...I'm driving him to school" Joy protested  

"But the clinic is just a few blocks away...you'd have to change your by like a million  degrees" Quentin pointed out.  

"I am taking him" Joy insisted  

"Are you sure?! There is a lot of jam on the return route..."  

"I am taking him" she continued to insist.  Needless to say, after breakfast Jim was taken to school by Joy and on the way there  she let him choose the music to play in the car!  

"Have a nice day" she said to him after dropping him off at the gate.  

"Have the best day, Joy "he replied. She was already having the best day being the  world's greatest wanna be mom.  The school gate was black and had the words "THARR HIGH  SCHOOL" pinned somewhere up in golden italics. As he walked through the gate, he  couldn't help thinking about all the changes that were occurring in his life-so fast! His father's diagnosis, the vicssorn, moving to Tharr, change of school...all in quick  succession.  

"Hey kid, where is your pass?" the gate man Jim asked as he was moving into the school absentminded. "kid!!Can't you hear me? Show me your pass!!"  

"I'm sorry sir...I don't have one"  

"I thought so...are you new?!"  

"Yes sir"  

"What is your name?!"  

"James Thomas Creed"  

"Creed?! Are you attorney Quilo's kid?"  

"That's my aunt..."  

"Well Mr.Creed...I think I have your pass right here"  

"You do?!"  

"Yes...please do fetch it"  

"Thank you" Jim said as he got his pass from the gateman.  

"One favour Mr.Creed...don't tell attorney Quilo about this"  

"About what?!" Jim asked  

"About...ummm...never mind...nothing. Good day Mr.Creed"  

Joy was a 'wanna be mom' at home but in the rest of Tharr city, she was a force.  Attorney Quilo was one of the most intelligent and hence most respected attorneys in  Tharr city. All the people in Tharr rich, poor, weak and powerful knew the name Joy Quilo -not a single soul wanted to be in her bad books. In fact, there were rumours  making rounds that she was only a yes away from becoming a judge-her yes, that is. Anyway, Jim was able to find his class with a little or maybe more help.  Almost everyone else was in the classroom when he arrived so obviously, they all stared at the new kid. He finally found a seat somewhere in the middle of the room.  

"Hey...Is this seat taken?!"  

"Nope"  

"Would you mind if i...took it?!"  

"Nope"  

"By the way...I am...James" Jim said when he had sat down  

"Jennifer"  

"Nice to meet you...Jennifer"  

"Did you say you are James?!"  

"Yeah...but you can call me Jim"  

"Jim! You are my puppy's namesake" she said, trying to insult him.  

"Really?! What colour is he?!" Jim asked  

"He died"  

"Oh! Sorry about that..."  

"Aren't you offended?!" She asked.  

"Offended by what?!"  

"Knowing that you have the same name as a dog?!"  

"Nah...it's just a name...a word"  

"What offends you?!"  

"That's a weird question!! Did you think I'd answer it?!"  

"Yeah"  

"Well...I won't" he answered, looked her in the eye and smiled. She smiled back  reflexively.  

"Alright. I'll just have to keep trying until I figure it out."  

Jennifer Dalevez was just a normal girl, not too pretty and not unattractive either. She  did not have a lot of friends because she thought she did not need any. Jenny was  always trying to push people away and most of the time, she succeeded-no wonder she had an unoccupied seat next to her. Jim could tell that she and he were going to get along just fine. In fact, in a weird way, he felt like he could trust her with his secret.

Yeah the spacing is still an issue, suggestions are welcome. thanks for reading

   -Constino