a Special Son

"The question isn't who but when you can trust...the answer is; not often."-Constino

"Yeah..."Jim responded, "Things don't always turn out as they are supposed to."

The archers drew more arrows and got ready to shoot. They each drew three arrows this time!

"We better start running..."He said as he helped her up, "It's going to be three times worse than the first time!"

After what she had experienced earlier, Breala found it natural to listen to Jim's call.They both ran as fast as they could towards the trees where Duke and Strost were already hiding. As it turned out, they managed to get behind the trees without getting hit. Actually, they believed they had outrun all fifteen arrows but that's unlikely to have happened. What happened was a lot more interesting...

"Creed...I think he is trying to kill us!" Strost neighed to Jim. They were all hiding behind a tree; Jim and Breala were hiding behind one tree, Strost and Duke hiding behind separate trees.

"I think you're right... "Jim responded.

"Who are you talking to?!"Breala asked.

"Strost of course..."Jim replied casually.

"The horse?!"She inquired curiously.

"Yeah..."Jim responded but then realised that Strost was giving him a bad eye.

"Strost is a stallion not the H-word..."he added to appease Strostall.

"Whatever..."she blew him off, "What are we supposed to do about the archers anyway?!!"

"Nothing as long as their arrows are not going through the trees..."Jim replied jokingly.

"This is not part of the training..."Duke, who had been unusually quiet, commented.

"Training?! Are we still on that? Or did we already move on to being murder candidates?!"Jim asked sarcastically.

"He's just trying to clear her doubts..."Duke added, ignoring Jim's comment. He was unusually serious too!

"Hey! What happened to you when we fell off that cliff?!" Breala asked, making fun of his new found seriousness. Duke's facial expression just saddened and he looked away. Earlier on in the hall, he had said that he knew things and was his curse. Perhaps he had more than one curse. One of the arrows broke through a tree! Breala looked at Jim...

"Okay...what do we do now?!"She asked him. When he made that statement earlier, he had been confident that the arrows would never penetrate the trees.

"Umm...we should run farther." He responded. But how much farther could they run?!

"No..."Duke objected, "We should stay and fight back."

He was right; running would not give them any real advantage-it would only help them to survive. But they were not just trying to surviving, they were aiming to thrive. And that meant they would have to be the hunter not the prey...