Holding out for a win

Part#60 Synopsis: Sometimes when things seem to be going wrong, it's all right with the plan.

Ironically, as all the different fights took place in the city, Djen finally found the calm she needed to take care of her comrades. It was a calm that could only be found in the eye of a storm. Djen's sword reverted to a white wand as she moved towards the holders. They all looked at her as she approached. She was their hope, their only hope. The holders were scattered over a distance of a hundred metres and they were all covered in arrows. Austime was the first holder Djen got to but as she began to pluck the arrows out of his body, he held her hand.      

"I'm not as badly hurt as the others..." he said, "You should begin with them."

It was a lie! All the holders were equally injured.

"I understand...I wouldn't want to be the first one to cry either." Djen joked.

"Huh what can I say, you saw right through me!" Austime responded. In fact, Austime recognised that the treatment couldn't be done on first come first served basis and neither could it be done randomly. This was still a war and the dynamics could change any moment. Those holders that would be most vital in a war situation had to be healed first. Some of the holders who still had a bit of energy left plucked the arrows out of their own bodies to ease Djen's work. They collected a sizeable heap of arrows among them.     

"I think I contributed at least half of the arrows in the pile!" Claspem declared.

"It was not a contest!" Takerine yelled at him.

"You probably didn't bother dodging at all." Austime joked.

"Yeah. That would have been so tiresome! I need to sleep right now." Claspem said and he was snoring the next second.                                                                                       

"Are you certain he is okay?!" Feblyssa asked referring to Claspem and his unusual ability to fall asleep instantly.                                                                                              

"Apart from the wounds you all have in common...he's fine." Djen responded, "I'm surprised he managed to remain awake this long!"                                                     

"Sleeping is boring, I should try singing..." Claspem declared after he woke up from his very short slumber. However, before he could begin singing a number of holders protested.               

"No! No! No!!" Austime shouted.

"I will kill you if you start singing!" Takerine threatened.

"The pain is bad enough as it is; do not do that to us!" Feblyssa begged. There seemed to be circles among the holders-the older and the younger. Austime, Claspem, Takerine and Feblyssa belonged to the younger but it had nothing to do with age since Soycoss who was the youngest of them all did not partake in their discussions. Djen, Chronomus, Smyth and Dominus were the older and they just happened to be the elders. Soycoss was hard to classify at this particular moment since she was the only one who had lost two colleagues and come very close to dying-all in a day's work!                              

"You can keep the song in your heart Claspem." Djen suggested.

"Thanks Djen! That won't be tiring at all!!" Claspem responded. As per Austime's suggestion, Djen had treated the elder holders first and now she moved on to Soycoss. She was completely surprised by Djen's decision.