Ch. 26 - Habits (Stay High)

"You're gone and I gotta stay, High all the time, To keep you off my mind, Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, High all the time, To keep you off my mind, Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, Spend my days locked in a haze, Trying to forget you babe, I fall back down, Gotta stay high all my life, To forget I'm missing you, Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Luke's P.O.V*

"Well you guys already know about how I used to be depressed and what not" Ashton sighs as he sits down on my bed and crosses his legs, "But Michael... He just didn't want you guys to know... Like I said before".

"I knew he was depressed, he mentioned it in his note" I say as Calum & I both sit down on my bed as well, "It's the fact that he tried to kill himself before that I didn't know".

"If I hadn't decided to go visit him, he would have.." Ashton choked out, "Anyway, I showed up at his house and his mum said that he was in his room... And when I got there, he was sprawled out on the floor, empty bottle of pills in his hand".

"His mum didn't know?" Calum asks in confusion.

"His door was shut and she never bothered him if the door was closed" Ashton explains, "Anyway, I started to panic, and forced him to throw up before carrying him out to my car, telling his mum to follow me to the hospital".

"How did she react? I ask.

"She started crying" Ashton says quietly, "I had to comfort her in the waiting area until Michael finally woke up".

"Why did he try to do it though?" I ask Ashton.

"Same reason as this time, I guess" Ashton sighs, "He was in a very bad place at the time, he just wanted to get away from the pain and loneliness".

"I wish I'd known about that" I mumble.

"Same here" Calum agrees.

"I wanted to tell you both, it was Michael who said not to tell you" Ashton tells us, "I hated the fact that I went to another school and that we were in different grades, he was all alone at school and it scared me".

"Why didn't you just change schools?" Calum asks.

"Mum wouldn't let me" Ashton sighs. "The day that you arrived at his school" Ashton tells me.

"And me, I started there the same day as Luke" Calum interjects.

"Right" Ashton chuckles, "Anyway, he had already started to get better, so he was much happier, but when he called me after school, he was so happy because there was a new hot guy in his class".

"Who? Me?" I blush.

"Yeah, you" Ashton rolls his eyes, "He wouldn't shut up about you".

"How did we get off on the wrong foot though?" I ask in confusion.

"Well, as I remember, about a week after he first saw you, he saw you making out with some chick" Ashton sighs, "It broke his heart".

"So he decided it would be best to treat me like crap?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"Apparently" Ashton shrugs his shoulders.

I was about to speak again when my mum knocks on the door and walks in. "You know how most parents have a rule that if their daughter has a boy in her room that the door must stay open?" She chuckles, "I forget you lot like the same gender, I should make the no closed door thing apply here".

"Mum!" I gasp, "Seriously?!". Ashton & Calum start snickering.

"Okay, I'm sorry" mum apologises, "I know you guys aren't getting up to anything".