Ch. 22 - How To Save A Life

"Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend, Somewhere along in the bitterness, And I would have stayed up with you all night, Had I known how to save a life"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Luke's P.O.V*

Michael is still asleep when I wake up, so I detach his headphones from his ears and wrap them around his phone before setting it down on the bedside table on my side of the bed.

It's got to be 7:30am, but we have a day off today, so I'll let Michael sleep for a bit longer. I walk over to my suitcase, pick an outfit for today, and disappear into the bathroom.

I go through my usual morning ritual: toilet, brush teeth, get dressed, and style hair.

Michael is still fast asleep when I walk out of the bathroom, but I decide it's time to wake him up so we can go get breakfast.

I climb back into bed and crawl over to him. "Mikey!" I say cheerfully, poking his cheek. No response. "Michael, let's go get food!" I try again. Still no response. "Michael?" I ask in concern.

Michael's laying on his stomach, but I can now tell that he's not even breathing. "Michael?!" I gasp, suddenly breathless. I look up to his bedside table and see the empty bottle of sleeping pills, the same bottle that was full yesterday, then I see the folded up note with my name of the front and let out a cry of fear.

I flip Michael onto his back and check his pulse... Nothing.

I practically leap away from Michael, reaching out for my phone to call for help and landing on the floor with a thud in the process. I reach up and grab my phone from the bedside table and quickly call Calum's number.

I'm in tears by the time Calum answers, and he couldn't be more confused about it. "He's not breathing! He doesn't have a pulse" I cry.

"What?! Who?!" Calum asks in alarm.

"MICHAEL!" I scream.

"Shit" Calum curses in shock, "Luke, stay calm, we will be there in a minute!".

The line goes dead and I drop my phone and leap back onto the bed, pulling Michael's limp body into my arms and crying my eyes out. "Don't leave me" I beg weakly, even though I know it's far too late already.

It's not long before Ashton & Calum burst through the door, Ashton holds up my keycard and I remember that I had left in their room by accident last night.

"Calum is calling for help" Ashton says as he rushes to my side, "What happened?!".

"Suicide" I choke out, pointing to the empty bottle of pills on the bedside table. I hear Ashton's breath catch in his throat.

Before I know it, Ashton, Calum, and I are all holding onto each other, crying over Michael's body, which I was holding onto like my life depended on it.

___________________

5 Seconds of Summer's guitarist, Michael Clifford, Found Dead

Michael Clifford, 19, was found dead this morning by fellow band member, Luke Hemmings, after commuting suicide.

The band refuse to make any statements on the topic, only saying "He will stay in our hearts forever and we wish we could have stopped him in time".

According to witnesses at the hotel, Hemmings was the most shattered by the loss of one of his best friends and is now having a close eye kept on him, in fear that he is going to act out on his heartbroken feelings.