CALIFORNIA WILDCHILD

"THE CALIFORNIA WILDCHILD KNOWS HOW TO SURF," JJ squealed as he watched Santana surf, "She's like my dream girl

"THE CALIFORNIA WILDCHILD KNOWS HOW TO SURF," JJ squealed as he watched Santana surf, "She's like my dream girl."

"Every girl with a living heartbeat is your dream girl," John B rolled his eyes, nudging him.

"Should we invite her house hopping?" Kie walked over to the three boys, grinning from ear to ear.

"Something's off about her," John B objected, "You would think that because she just moved here, she would try and make friends herself you know? She's been radio silent, it's weird."

"Yeah, cus we're the cool kids she would wanna hang out with," Pope retorted, catching a harsh stare from John B and JJ, "I happen to think we're pretty cool, man."

"She got escorted here by police, she's probably just nervous or, or scared," Kie explained above the boys. JJ jumped up, "You're right, maybe she's in witness protection. That's so cool."

"You're unbelievably, incredibly, stupid," Kie smacked his head.

Pope cleared his throat amongst JJ's laughter, "John B had a real point. She's mysterious and was thrown down here by cops. Shady."

"Well look at you Pope, I never thought you could be such an ass," Kie rolled her eyes, "Have we exactly put in any effort to hang out with her?"

"Are you crazy? She could be like a teen serial killer," JJ remarked, John B shrugging, "What if she carries around pocket knives?"

Eventually Santana retreated the beach, walking through the sand back up to the pathway where the Pogues were sat. Her head was in the clouds, finding some sort of peace on her first day — a silence she hadn't felt in the longest time.

"Hey! California!" JJ called out to Santana, "Come here!"

"How's the Cut treating you?" John B leaned back on his chair, cocky as ever, as Santana had stood in front of them with her board planted in the sand.

"Haven't gotten to surf like this in a long time," Santana had grinned, watching as the blonde had jumped up from his seat, "Good waves and a roof over my head, what else can a girl ask for?"

"Oh honey, there's a lot to ask for," JJ slid his arms around Santana's shoulders, "And we're going to show you. We're off to Figure Eight."

"Honey?" Santana cracked up, "You gotta work on your moves."

"But it was smooth," JJ protested.

——

"ANOTHER STEP AND YOU'LL FALL TO YOUR DEATH," Santana laughed, sitting on a mansion's roof watching John B stand, drinking a small beer.

"Exactly," Pope added from the ground, "That's what, a three story fall to the deck? I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival."

"Hm," John B paused, "Should I do it?"