60

Dante

"She's in there, boss. I found her in a soundproof room, she was pr-" I cut Lorenzo off by racing towards the room he pointed at and flung the door open.

I instantly saw a vaguely familiar woman standing near the hospital bed and my eyes focused on Riley... who has a man I've never seen before in my life holding her as they weep over... a baby in her arms. What the fuck is going on? Lorenzo entered in behind me, not saying a word.

"My b-baby bo-boy!" Riley wailed and I felt my heart shatter in a million pieces at hearing how broken she sounded. Bruises and cuts littered her body, making me angry before the vaguely familiar woman spoke up, "What was his name going to be, Tiana?"

Tiana? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. I'm glad she kept her identity a secret, she's smarter than I gave her credit for.

"Xa-Xavier Raf-Rafael Wilson..." she sobbed and the man behind her choked on his cries, "That's an amazing name, baby girl..." He wept genuinely as he rocked the love of my life in his arms.

Then my dumbass pieced it together... this was their baby...

My mouth fell agape as she handed the baby to the lady and the woman walked out of the room, sniffling and weeping silently. My heart pounded in my chest as many emotions slapped me in the face.

Anger.
Confusion.
Happiness.
Relief.
Sadness.

How did this happen? Did she give up and leave me, deciding she didn't want me anymore, or was I too late and another man already swept her off of her feet?

She tucked her head in between her knees and he swallowed a cry, "I'm so sorry, Tiana," He told her softly as he rubbed her back, they both cried heavily.

"I love you, Tiana," He told her and I clenched my fists in anger and confusion. But she never said it back.

"What... I don't... what?" I stuttered, feeling like a dumbass, and her head popped up. She cleared her vision and when she focused on me her eyes widened. Her eyes lit up with happiness and then tears filled her vision. She bit her lip to stifle the pain as she swung her legs over the side of the bed and wobbled towards me.

She fell to her knees in front of me and cupped her face in her hands as she cried, hard, "Dante." She cried and I crouched down to her level, picking her up bridal style.
Tears fell down my cheeks in relief to have my love back in my arms at last.

"Hey!" The man shouted and I looked at Lorenzo to deal with him.

"P-please, Enzo... don't kill h-him.." She hiccuped and Lorenzo looked at her with sad eyes, nodding.

I carried her out the door and to the lobby where Davina and Clay sat. They stood up with big eyes, filled in confusion as Riley's cries bounced off of the hospital walls. I shook my head at them, indicating not to ask questions but to shut up instead. They nodded in understanding.

~*~

"W-water." Riley croaked as she sat up in my bed back in Italy. I nodded and handed her the glass of water I had waiting for her. She took it and instantly chugged the water, leaving her breathless after she finished its contents. She handed me the empty glass and I sat it back on the table beside the bed. I looked at her, waiting for her to talk so I didn't make her too uncomfortable.

Her face had bruises in the shapes of handprints. Her lip was busted from physical abuse and her eye was black. She had a wrap on her arm with gauze, I have yet to figure out what for. Her arms were littered with bruises as well as her calves and down. Wherever she was, they did a number on her and I made it my mission to make sure none of them took another breath before this week was over.

She was thinner than ever. Her cheekbones were sunken in, her body was frail and fragile. Her hair was dead, breaking off at the ends and her eyes had dark circles for days on end.

"Can you..." She cleared her throat, "Can you change me?" She asked, embarrassed, and I nodded, walking over to my dresser. I pulled out one of my long shirts and a pair of her more snug underwear. I walked over to her and she weakly raised her arms so I could take the hospital gown off.

Once I did, I had to choke back a sob as I saw her body. I bit the inside of my cheek so hard to keep from crying that I immediately tasted that familiar metallic taste. Tears welled up in my eyes as I could count each rib and her hip bones stuck out so much. Her pale body was ridden with handprint bruises and cuts. I gently pushed my shirt over her head and stood her up, putting her underwear on her body.

"Thank you, Dante," Her voice cracked and it broke my heart to see her like this.

"I love you, so fucking much, gattina," I whispered as I kissed her cheek and she weakly smiled as she looked up at me. Her once happy filled blue eyes are now lifeless and dull.

"You have no idea how long I've... wanted to hear you say that..." She admitted as a lone tear rolled down her cheek and I kissed it away, "I love you." I repeated again.

"I love you, mio amore." She whispered and laid down in the bed, "Please sleep with me." She asked softly and I smiled weakly, sliding in behind her. She rested her head on my chest and as soon as she hit my skin, her eyes shut and her breathing evened out. She was asleep.

I have never experienced something more heartbreaking in my entire life than I have right now.

My gattina is broken.

____________
A/N: how'd you guys feel about this chapter? Please comment and vote! <3