thirty

Lucy leaned her left side into the back of the chair, curling her legs up as she pressed her head against the wall, slowly closing her eyes as her hands held onto her shins.

She let her eyes open when the door creaked open, the pink haired boy showing her a small smile as he slipped in and closed the door behind him, holding up a plastic bag with what looked like two cups of instant ramen inside.

Lucy sat up and let her feet touch the tiles as Natsu took the seat next to her, opening the bag and pulling out the instant ramens. He crumpled the bag and tossed it into the trash can at the foot of the hospital bed. "Do you want both? You've been here for almost the whole day and haven't eaten."

She shook her head, sighing as her eyes peeled away from the food and towards her dad, glancing at the heart monitor to make sure nothing was wrong. "You need something to eat, too," She mumbled.

"I'll be fine. I'll heat up one for now and save the other one for you to have later." Natsu stood and walked over to the small microwave atop the white countertop at the corner of the room, putting one cup of the instant ramen in.

"Do you think he'll wake up?"

The boy turned his head to look at the blonde. He shifted onto his other foot and sighed softly, shrugging as his lips pressed together. "I don't know, Lucy. I'm sorry."

Lucy only shook her head. "There's nothing to be sorry about. Of course you wouldn't know. None of us do." She brought her fingers to her lips, biting her nails as she asked him, "Do you think he's dreaming right now? Or seeing something-or even someone-that's stopping him from waking up? That's making him happy? My mom?"

He stayed silent, but Lucy knew whatever he said wouldn't provide comfort to her in any way. She quietly let out a breath, shaking her head as she muttered, "I'm sorry. I just..." Her eyes followed him loosely as he walked over to her and sat in the seat beside her. His hand slipped into hers, lifting his pointer finger to draw light circles on the back of her hand in reassurance. "I hate not knowing what's supposed to happen from here on out. The doctor doesn't know how long he'll be in a coma for, and-and..." Her voice faded as she blinked tiredly, feeling Natsu put his hand up to her face and bring her cheek down to rest against his shoulder. Her eyes slowly began to close, her fingers squeezing around his hand to make sure she wouldn't let him go in her sleep.

She sighed softly and kept her eyes closed, pressing her lips together before murmuring, "Are you mad about our...what happened between us?"

She could hear his breaths grow faint until he let out a sharp exhale. "That doesn't matter right now," He said. His voice was raspy. "Get some rest, okay?"

-

Lucy groggily lifted her head up, squinting as her eyes took a second to adjust to the light. She glanced to her right, seeing Natsu's head leaned back against the wall, his eyes closed as soft snores escaped from his mouth.

She moved her eyes over to the microwave, sighing as she realized the ramen Natsu was heating up before was probably cold now. Her gaze pulled back to Natsu, watching curiously as his hair rustled as he shifted his head, his eyebrows furrowing as he mumbled incoherently. Lucy let out a breath of air in amusement, looking down to her hand still intertwined with his. She bit her lip nervously.

Conflicting feelings flooded her in an instant, finding herself unable to decide whether holding his hand was a smart decision or not, let alone having him here at the hospital with her in the first place. She didn't want to drag her drama inside the hospital room, especially when she was supposed to be focusing on her father.