eleven

Jude and Lucy spent about an hour talking to Makayla and Michelle. Lucy had some complicated and mixed feelings about her dad dating now. But she had to admit, Michelle was adorable.

"Are you okay, sweetie? You've been quiet for most of the ride home." Her father's voice pulled her out of her thoughts, letting her eyes shift from the window over to his concerned expression. "I get that this is all very new to you."

"Well...if you're happy, then I guess it's okay?" She let out a soft huff, seeing her dad's eyebrows furrow together.

"Is it because of your mother?"

Lucy let the question sink in, shrugging her shoulders plainly.

"Look...Lucy, I know you don't approve, but I just felt like I needed to move on, start anew. Your mother is always going to be the first woman I've ever loved, but..." His voice grew quiet, "she's gone. She's been gone for two years, sweetie. I'm sorry if you don't like Makayla, but she's brought so much happiness to me after your mom died. I just..."

Lucy shifted in her seat, shaking her head. "Are you planning on marrying her?"

There was a small pause before he answered, "I'm not sure."

"I know Mom is gone, and I know she'd want you-both of us-to move on and be happy. If Makayla is who makes you happy, then I won't get in the way." She pressed the side of her head against the window, playing with her fingers.

"I know this is going to be difficult, but you'll love her. And her daughter."

There was a silent screaming tension in the air until Lucy finally decided to speak. "Dad?" She turned her head to him.

Jude peeled his eyes away from the road as they stopped at a red light, looking at her.

"Just don't forget about Mom. Okay?"

"I won't. I promise," He said as he leaned over and hugged her, kissing the top of her head before letting go.

Lucy let out a short laugh. "Michelle is very cute. At least this time I'll get a sibling."

Her dad let out a loud laugh, "Hey, your mother and I were getting there eventually. If I could've had it my way, you would've had...I don't know, sixty siblings."

Lucy's eyes widened, a look of horror and disgust on her face. "Dad! Gross!"

Jude laughed again, shaking his head. "I'm kidding...you'd have thirty."

"Dad-you know what, I'll be skipping dinner, thanks."

-

Lucy sighed, combing her fingers through the ends of her hair, detangling them as she walked towards the school, an apple bitten in her mouth as she rushed closer. Her eyes wandered, seeing a handful of students still outside. She slowed her pace down, taking a minute to readjust her bag around her shoulders, taking a bite from the apple and taking it from her mouth.

From the corner of her eyes, she could see the familiar blue long hair of Wendy. Lucy was about to call out to say hi, but stopped herself as she noticed the girl walking down the sidewalk next to a boy a few inches taller than her with black purple-ish hair. Their hands were together, and right as they stopped in front of the school, Wendy leaned up and kissed his cheek.

Both were blushing by the time they let go, having to go to class. Lucy blinked, trying her best to absorb what she saw.

"Hey."

Her shoulders tensed up as she felt Natsu's hand rest on her right shoulder. She turned to him with wide eyes, smiling moments later as she finally breathed. "Hey...did you see what happened a second ago?"