four

"Lucy, please talk to me. At least tell me if you're okay. You've been acting weird ever since the party," Sting fell into step with her quickening pace, ignoring her countless times telling him to go away.

She finally stopped, looking at him. "I just need some time alone right now, okay? I promise I'm fine."

The platinum blonde scoffed. "Something happened at that party, didn't it? Did it have to do with Dragneel?"

Lucy hurriedly shook her head. "No. Look, Sting I-" The ringing coming from the ball hastily cut her sentence short. She huffed, readjusting the straps of her bag. "I have to get to class. Can you find me later?"

The boy stared at her worriedly for a moment before nodding. "You can tell me what's wrong Lucy..." A small frown spread across his face. "What happened to our Atomic Blonde Squad?"

Lucy pressed her lips together, watching as students brushed past the two of them, hurrying to their classes, reminding her that she had her own class to get to. "I need to go. Just give me some time, okay?"

Sting met her eyes. "Lunch, tell me what's going on."

She nodded. "Yeah."

The blonde turned the other direction, jogging down the hallway until she turned the corridor, seeing the door still open. She saw the pink haired boy leaning against the lockers adjacent to the classroom door.

Lucy sighed, scratching her forehead as she walked towards him. "Shouldn't you be inside? The bell is going to ring in like ten seconds."

"I was waiting for you," He said automatically.

She rolled her eyes. "You didn't have to. And I don't see the point in having you watch out for me. I can handle myself."

He raised an eyebrow, following after her inside as they both took their seats. "What about last night? You didn't want me to leave you alone yesterday."

Lucy glared at him. "It was a small moment of weakness, okay? Today isn't yesterday, and that means I don't need you around to 'protect' me."

He looked at her for a moment before a lopsided grin spread across his face. "Today may be a new day, but wanting to be around you will always stay the same."

The blonde raised her eyebrows. "Was that supposed to be some kind of pickup line?"

He nodded eagerly. "It was good, right? Are you secretly swooning over me?"

Lucy snorted, shaking her head in amusement. "Pickup lines don't work on me, idiot."

The pink haired boy pouted childishly. "I forgot about that."

A small smile found its way onto her lips as she let out an airy laugh. "But I admit, it wasn't bad."

He stretched his arms up in triumph, his chuckles cut short as the teacher cleared her throat to begin class.

The boy leaned over to her with a sheepish grin on his face while the teacher turned to write something on the whiteboard. "Hey Lucy."

She let her eyes shift over from the teacher to him. "What?"

"Do you have another pencil I could borrow?"

Lucy deadpanned. "Again? Seriously? What happened to the one I gave you?"

"Lost it," He said.

She sighed, already zipping open her pencil case on her desk. She leaned off her chair and placed the pencil on his desk, quickly snapping back upright as the teacher turned back to face the class.