twenty-eight

"Remind me why we're at the mall again," Lucy yawned as she ran her fingers along the fabrics of shirts she stood in front of. "Can I at least go buy a pretzel at the food court or something?"

"You're the only one who hasn't chosen a kimono yet, Lucy," Levy huffed. "We all thought it would be easier to buy them at the mall instead of on the island."

"But the trip isn't even for another month," The blonde groaned, but stubbornly released her laziness and moved from her spot by the shirt rack.

Her eyes drooped around the store as she wandered aimlessly until Levy, looking particularly annoyed, grabbed Lucy's hand and dragged her over to where Erza and Juvia were. Juvia held out a dark blue kimono, white and gold blossoms branching out across the right-hand sleeve and the bottom corner diagonal from it. The neckband was a glittering gold that complimented the dark blue shade nicely.

"We got one for you," Erza said as she took it from Juvia and draped it over her arm with the other kimonos she had.

"So does that mean I can go get a pretzel?" Lucy mumbled dryly.

"Guys, go buy the kimonos. I'll go with Lucy and we'll meet back at the food court?" Levy said.

Lucy and Levy watched as Juvia and Erza walked away before Levy grabbed Lucy by the wrist and dragged her out of the store. She didn't slow down until they finally reached the pretzel cart on the outskirts of the food court. "What's going on with you?"

Lucy blinked. "What do you mean?"

"You just seem off," Levy huffed. "Is this because of Natsu again? I'm not even sure why I'm asking, because I already know it is. We all do."

Lucy nodded shortly as she chuckled dryly. "Yeah, it's because of him. Sad, right?"

Levy didn't answer. She turned around as the employee handed her two pretzels, along with a water bottle that Levy shoved into Lucy's hands. Levy headed to the inside of the food court with Lucy trailing behind her in confused silence. Once they found a table, Levy plopped down and heaved out a huff of annoyance as she watched Lucy slowly sit down across from her. "You know I love you, right?"

"...Right."

"So in no way are the words that are about to come out of my mouth meant to hurt you, but," Levy cleared her throat as she leaned forward, resting her elbows against the table, "You're acting incredibly pathetic about this whole Natsu thing."

Lucy blinked in shock. She opened her mouth to protest but Levy shook her head and waved her hand. "Let me finish," She said. "I get that your feelings are coming back for him and you don't know what to do, but that's not the only thing in your life. It is not the end of the world because it's not the only thing you have going for you."

"Right...I have my dad and Makayla to deal with too," Lucy mumbled.

"No, that's not what I meant. You-how am I supposed to say this..." Levy quirked her lips to the side as her eyebrows furrowed in thought. She looked to Lucy again. "Your life doesn't revolve around this-your problems. You can't keep letting this get to you as much as it is. I think you and Natsu are amazing together. But I can't keep watching you destroy yourself and not doing anything about it. So you need to decide whether you should be choosing yourself right now instead of him."

Lucy stayed quiet.

Levy let out a long sigh. "He's trying, Lucy. And you won't even let him. I think you need to give him-and yourself-a chance to be happy." She reached her arm across the table, placing her hand on top of Lucy's and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Even if it all goes to shit...you have us, y'know. We are so much better than boys anyways."