twenty-three

It had been hours since Natsu had to leave, but Lucy wasn't sure if she could go through a sleepover right now. She glanced over to her nightstand, her eyes widening as she realized the ice cream disappeared, only to remember seconds later that Natsu put it in the freezer on his way out.

Lucy took a quick glimpse at the clock on her nightstand. The girls were going to arrive in five minutes, and yet she didn't want to get out of bed. The bitterness towards her father and the sadness for her mother had combined into a numbness that surrounded her like an absent void, where she just wanted to close her eyes and drift off to sleep to leave her worries behind, even if it was just for a brief moment.

Her eyes slowly closed as she released a drawn out breath. Lucy forced herself out of bed and headed to the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle from the refrigerator and drinking half of it. She left the water bottle on the island top and stared at the photos and drawings pinned onto the refrigerator door.

Lucy glared at one photo towards the top right corner. It was a photo of her parents, huddled close together under a yellow umbrella as rain fell around them. She stood up and walked over to the refrigerator, pulling the photo away from the magnet and staring at it in frustration.

Her eyes softened in defeat the longer she took in the moment enclasped in the photograph. She drew out an exhale, her eyes focusing on her mother's smile before her eyes clouded from the built up tears. Lucy looked up at the other photos, seeing some of all of them together and some of just her dad and mom.

One photo in particular held her attention; her mother was sitting against a cherry blossom tree, cradling a baby that Lucy assumed was herself. Petals had fallen into Layla's hair, and there was a small cherry blossom in between her thumb and her pointer finger, holding it in front of Lucy.

With her tiny fingers, she had reached out to grab the cherry blossom her mother held. Even if it was a photo, Lucy could still see the cherished hope Layla had in her eyes as she looked at her daughter.

Lucy carefully took the photo out from the magnet clip and carefully wrapped her fingers around the sides. She looked at the two photos before shaking her head and pinning the first one she took back onto the refrigerator.

Lucy's legs moved stiffly, bringing her to her room where she put the photograph on her desk.

Her phone vibrated on the desk, Lucy glancing over and seeing a message from Levy saying she was at the door. Closing the door behind her, she walked out of her room and shuffled to the front door, her hand lingering on the handle before pulling it open and seeing Levy standing there with an orange sleeping bag tucked under her right arm and a backpack sitting at her feet.

"Was ringing the doorbell not an option?" Lucy chuckled as she took her backpack before Levy walked inside. The girl huffed, pushing her head downwards and then swinging it up to get her hair out of her face without using her hands.

She wobbled a bit, shaking her head with a sheepish smile. "Nope."

Lucy nodded as she pushed her lips out, the edges of her mouth curling up to form an amused smile. She placed Levy's backpack at the foot of the couch in the living room, stepping aside as Levy plopped her sleeping bag down onto the cushions.

A couple minutes later the doorbell rang. As Lucy opened the door, Erza laughed haughtily, taking a grand step inside. She dropped her stuff off against the wall next to the door, throwing her arms up wide, gesturing as if she was a queen. "I've prepared a fantastic playlist for our musical foursome."