eight

Natsu never brought up the question from the other night. And Lucy was glad he never bothered trying to again. She wasn't too keen on having to say everything right then and there, knowing that there'd be a time when it finally would. But confrontation was never Lucy's strong suit.

She wasn't really sure why, but it was most likely the thread of Natsu always there to protect her from bullies and jerks, or just falling when they played too roughly together when they were kids. As grateful as she was for him back then, it didn't exactly help her now since she never had to be in any situation involving confrontation. And just the idea of having to do that didn't seem all that appealing.

As she walked down the hall and turned the corridor, Lucy collided head first with another figure, both of them falling to the floor with a thud.

"Sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going," Lucy shook her head and blinked twice, refocusing her eyes as the figure she bumped into spoke.

"No it was my fault..." The two stared at each other in shock. The ivory haired girl in front of the blonde blinked. "Lucy."

The said girl looked at her, slowly standing at the same time she did. Quickly regaining her surprised composure, Lucy mumbled, "Lisanna."

"So um...how have you been? We never really got to talk since we met freshman year, huh," A small smile was on the ivory haired girl's face, letting out an awkward but soft laugh.

Lucy only shrugged. "Good, I guess." She faked a smile, inwardly praying Lisanna wouldn't ask about Natsu, or anything else for that matter. Of course the fates had other plans.

"That's good. So I heard you were dating Natsu now." The blonde nodded slowly, cursing mentally and watching as Lisanna sighed, pressing her lips together before letting a thin smile on her face reappear. "It's good that he's moved on."

Lucy frowned to herself and her eyebrows knit together. "This may be too much for me too ask from you, but why did you do it in the first place?" There was a small pause before she continued, "Why'd you cheat on him?"

The blonde could see Lisanna stiffen from her question, uncomfortably shifting. "I don't...I don't think that's really any of your business. And I should probably get going," She swiveled on her heel, taking one step forward before Lucy spoke again.

"If you loved Natsu in any way, why did you hook up with Dan? Did you ever stop and consider him-his feelings or-or anything- before doing what you did?"

Lisanna craned her neck to see her, a tear streaming down her face as she sniffled. "Look it wasn't-" She turned in the other direction and took in a deep breath in attempt to calm herself down, shaking her head as she looked back at Lucy. "-it wasn't...intentional. We-I-was drunk, and before I could stop myself, it...it just happened." The ivory haired girl wiped the tears from her face, facing the opposite direction of where the blonde stood.

"You hurt him." Lucy's voice came out firm, stronger than she'd expected. It felt as if she cared about this whole situation more than she really did.

What Lucy never realized in that moment was that her encounter with Lisanna was what she never liked to do: confronting someone. But none of that mattered; the only thing on Lucy's mind was the pained look on Natsu's face when he found out it was Dan, of all people, that Lisanna hooked up with.

"I know," There was a pained raspiness when the girl spoke. "I never meant to."

"Did you even try talking to him after all of this happened? You sure gave up rather easily," Lucy crossed her arms over her chest as Lisanna turned to her, raising an eyebrow as she sniffled.